Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Every time you look at these forums someone is requesting a news portal.

Hung, you said the news portal theme would be one of the first three releases of 2008. We’re now at release number six.

Hieu, you said on January 12th that the design team needed a little more time. We’re now entering the month of April.

Gentlemen, on behalf of your members who have requested this template over and over, I’m asking you directly and requesting an honorable answer:

When is the news portal template coming?

No more garbage, just a straight answer please.

Menalto Friend

You should have looked HERE then you could make your own news template:)

teetide Friend

I want Hung Dinh (who owns this place) and Hieu Nguyen (head of design) to shoot striaght with the JA members about this long standing request. It has been kicked around forever. It’s time to either produce the template they promised us or admit that they can’t meet their promise. Ignoring it month after month accomplishes nothing.

Menalto, if you ever finish the tutorial let me know.

TomC Moderator

What is it that you want in a “new” Teline template? – Specifics?

Is it something that you would not be capable of creating/customizing on your own (with a little effort)?

teetide Friend

Specifics of the news portal style have been discussed ad nauseum in the Teline forum and elsewhere. I’m not going to rehash them. Take a look at Youtheme’s Newsline template for a good starting point.

Let’s not get away from the issue at hand. Hung Dinh himself pledged a news portal template in the first three releases of 2008. Hieu Nguyen claimed to need a little more time on January 12th.

The question is simple: When is the promised news portal template coming?

TomC Moderator

Again, are the kinds of updates/modifications you desire something that you would not be capable of creating/customizing on your own (with a little effort)?

teetide Friend

No, they’re not tcraw1010. I suck at template and component customization.

For the third time: When is the promised news portal template coming?

bigrk Friend

I have to agree with TeeTide here. I read and contributed to the same posts. There was a promise made and the new news template was supposed to be already to go as stated “in a few days” over two months ago. I have a lot on my plate and I could create my own but I joined this club to get by that step. When I am ready to use a new template for a news site I have already planned to join the Youtheme site to get my hands on the Newsline template unless JA can step up to the plate and deliver what they had promised.

By the way tcraw1010, do you have a website to show off all of the great mods and CSS changes you do to a JA template? Just curious, I have never seen an example of your work.

TomC Moderator

<em>@bigrk 46111 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    By the way tcraw1010, do you have a website to show off all of the great mods and CSS changes you do to a JA template? Just curious, I have never seen an example of your work.</blockquote>
    As a matter of fact, I have been working on a site for some time now – and I have done a considerable amount of css modification and template customization along the way. (You can ask Menalto – he has seen some of my work).

Do I choose to showcase it yet – no. I will when I’m ready – end of story.

Nevertheless, this doesn’t negate any of that which I have commented upon above. In the 11 months I’ve been a member at JoomlArt, I’ve spent a great deal of time learning how to work within the Joomla environment – including css web design, various bits of php, module/component modification, etc. The point is, I know that template are not meant to be turnkey and/or built-to-go websites …. they are base starting points for someone to take and create in to something a bit more unique.

I’ll be honest with you . . . . When I come across a website where it is painfully obvious that someone used a JA template and all they did was change a logo and some typography, I’m immediately bored and move on. Little effort and little-to-no creativity whatsoever.

The bottom line is, if one is going to work with Joomla websites, then one should put forth the effort to learn the basics of the basic aspects of Joomla templates modification – css, module positions, etc. These forums are excellent resources for learning something one may not be familiar with and/or understand.

I’ve seen the Newsline template – it’s nice. However, in reality, it’s really not that much greater than the existing JA-Teline template. So, when I ask about what someone wants different form the existing template versus an “updated’ version – especially in the shadow of what basically amounts of a “where is it” gripe, I don’t think it’s too far out of line to be curious as to what kind of “updates’ one expects, or to inquire as to whether it is something that can be accomplished with a little bit of effort.

bigrk Friend

I stopped reading at “end of story”

TomC Moderator

<em>@bigrk 46118 wrote:</em><blockquote>I stopped reading at “end of story”</blockquote>
    Your loss

😎

teetide Friend

What you do with Joomlart templates is your business. What I do with them is my business. Your template flagellation and anal retentiveness bores me. My turnkey sites bore you. So be it.

This is not about tweaking css, adding module positions, or installing the coolest new extensions. We’re all capable of that. This is about the unique artistic talent and vision that Joomlart provides in each template. If anyone here was capable of duplicating that, they wouldn’t need to be a member of this template club in the first place.

Joomlart releases two templates a month and cites customer request as the impetus for many of those templates. The newsportal template Hung Dinh promised two months ago gets requested and discussed constantly but never delivered.

I want Joomlart to either tell me when the promised newsportal template will be released, or tell me they can’t do it so I can go join another club that has a newsportal template that I can use.

Hung Dinh Friend

Hi TeeTide,
    Do you feel that you are requesting too much when we have also had to server other members as well. We have been working hard on your wishlist but as I also mentioned, the design come out of creativeness and concepts, it is not something can be done by just spending time on Photoshop or Firework.

What I have promised is we will try to deliver and work seriously on the request which does not mean that JA have to delivery what you want.

I am so stress with your request, request and request. If you are really not happy with our delivered templates, just PM me and I can provide a full refund of your membership (which is not applied in our Terms of Use)

teetide Friend

<em>@Hung Dinh 46126 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi TeeTide,
    Do you feel that you are requesting too much when we have also had to server other members as well. We have been working hard on your wishlist but as I also mentioned, the design come out of creativeness and concepts, it is not something can be done by just spending time on Photoshop or Firework.

What I have promised is we will try to deliver and work seriously on the request which does not mean that JA have to delivery what you want.

I am so stress with your request, request and request. If you are really not happy with our delivered templates, just PM me and I can provide a full refund of your membership (which is not applied in our Terms of Use)</blockquote>

Well Hung, I’ll try to stay on the high road here.

While I wouldn’t necessarily use the word stress, you can rest assured that when it comes to the promised newsportal template, you can’t possibly be any more exasperated than I am.

Unfortunately, I need the forum support for the two JA templates I’m currently working with so I’ll have to politely decline your gracious offer of a refund tonight. Give me a week to finish what I’m working on and I’ll accept your offer.

bigrk Friend

<em>@tcraw1010 46122 wrote:</em><blockquote>Your loss

:cool:</blockquote>

No, actually it is your loss. We have debated this a couple of times before. You say what you say and I say that it is all about content and presentation. I freely display my site for all to see, http://www.oregonsgolf.com, not because I’ve won the SOTM or other awards but to show what you can do with a very nice existing JA template. Still a little creativity helps but it all starts with the content. I have over 400 pages on my site and in a lot of it I show my writing skills and my photography. Also I have people from around this world that contact me to post their press releases and news stories because of the existing content and popularity with my regular readers. When you get past the notion that it is more important to specialize in the basic template development and customization then you might be able to finally publish a website to demonstrate what you preach. I appreciate a lot of what you have to say and the help that you provide to users here at JA but at the times you preach and it really does no one any good especially the person that is asking for help. Sorry but this is how I feel about the way you treat some folks in this forum.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

This topic contains 26 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Hung Dinh 16 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum