Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Hi,
    I want to reduce the empty space around the edges so that my main part is still wider.
    It may be easier to see in the picture:

http://planinarenje.ba

Thanks in advance

1. planinarenje
    TomC Moderator

Assuming you are using the J3.x version of JA Obelisk, here is what you can do . . .

Create a new file called “custom.css” within file path –> templates/ja_obelisk/css

Within that custom.css file, paste the following CSS rule:

.t3-mainbody {
    padding-bottom: 10px;
    padding-top: 10px;
    }

SAVE CHANGES – CLEAR CACHE – REFRESH PAGE

You can, of course, play around with the padding pixel values until you arrive at the result you are most happy with.

Hope That Helps

midhat Friend

Thank you for your prompt response.
    I have to put “left and right”, not “top and bottom”. When I put this code in a custom css

.t3-mainbody {
    padding-left: 10px;
    padding-right: 10px;
    }

My main section is narrower than it is. I want to reduce this space by making a part where the text is (main body) to become wider

TomC Moderator

My suggestion above was based on your original issue of wanting to increase the “width” space of your main content area.

Though, in re-reading what you wanted, you should make the following modification:

.t3-mainbody {
    padding-left: 20px;
    padding-right: 20px;
    }

If you want the content area wider, you don’t need to worry about “top” and/or “bottom.”

midhat Friend

I tried this code but with him my main section is narrower than it is. I want to reduce this space by making a part where the text is (main body) to become wider
    Thanks anyway 🙂

TomC Moderator

Okay, I see what’s going on . . . my apologies :-[

Try This . . . .

Within your custom.css file, add the following CSS rule:

.container {
    width: 1200px;
    }

This will widen the content container area . . . . and, again, you can fiddle with the width pixel value until you arrive at the result you’re most happy with.

Better ?? …. Getting There ??

midhat Friend

Again wrong. Now increase the complete web page, but keep it blank space on edges
    Maybe the problem is in my bad English 🙂
    See in the picture:

I want to reduce the red area, so it will increase the green area, but not reduce blue area space

I apologize if the request is confusing

1. planinarenje
    TomC Moderator

What version of JA Obelisk are you using? (J2.5? J3.x?)

midhat Friend

version J3.x

TomC Moderator

Okay, Try This . . . .

Within your custom.css file, paste the following CSS rules:

.span4 {
    width: 312px;
    float: right;
    }

t3-mainbody {
    padding-bottom: 20px;
    padding-top: 20px;
    }

.container, .navbar-static-top .container, .navbar-fixed-top .container, .navbar-fixed-bottom .container {
    width: 1100px;
    }

SAVE CHANGES – CLEAR CACHE – REFRESH PAGE

Getting Closer ??

midhat Friend

I’m sorry but we are not close. Blue space disappearing again
    Thank you for your assistance

midhat Friend

Perhaps this picture better explains

1. planinarenje2
    TomC Moderator

You said you wanted the content area wider . . . which would mean widening the content (container) area
    – thus reducing the outer “blue” space. :((

I will forward your issue onto the JA Development Team for review and (hopefully) further comment.

Ninja Lead Moderator

@midhat: Please give it a try with my workaround below.

+ Open the templates/ja_obelisk/less/variables.less file

Change

@T3gridWidth: 980px; // T3 add. For non-responsive layout.
    @gridColumns: 12;
    @gridGutterWidth: 20px;
    @gridColumnWidth: floor((@T3gridWidth - @gridGutterWidth * (@gridColumns - 1)) / @gridColumns);
    @gridRowWidth: (@gridColumns * @gridColumnWidth) + (@gridGutterWidth * (@gridColumns - 1));

// 1200px min
    @T3gridWidth1200: 980px; // T3 add
    @gridGutterWidth1200: 20px;
    @gridColumnWidth1200: floor((@T3gridWidth1200 - @gridGutterWidth1200 * (@gridColumns - 1)) / @gridColumns);
    @gridRowWidth1200: (@gridColumns * @gridColumnWidth1200) + (@gridGutterWidth1200 * (@gridColumns - 1));

// 980px-1199px
    @T3gridWidth980: 980px; // T3 add
    @gridGutterWidth980: 20px;
    @gridColumnWidth980: floor((@T3gridWidth980 - @gridGutterWidth980 * (@gridColumns - 1)) / @gridColumns);
    @gridRowWidth980: (@gridColumns * @gridColumnWidth980) + (@gridGutterWidth980 * (@gridColumns - 1));

To

@T3gridWidth: 1200px; // T3 add. For non-responsive layout.
    @gridColumns: 12;
    @gridGutterWidth: 20px;
    @gridColumnWidth: floor((@T3gridWidth - @gridGutterWidth * (@gridColumns - 1)) / @gridColumns);
    @gridRowWidth: (@gridColumns * @gridColumnWidth) + (@gridGutterWidth * (@gridColumns - 1));

// 1200px min
    @T3gridWidth1200: 1200px; // T3 add
    @gridGutterWidth1200: 20px;
    @gridColumnWidth1200: floor((@T3gridWidth1200 - @gridGutterWidth1200 * (@gridColumns - 1)) / @gridColumns);
    @gridRowWidth1200: (@gridColumns * @gridColumnWidth1200) + (@gridGutterWidth1200 * (@gridColumns - 1));

// 980px-1199px
    @T3gridWidth980: 1200px; // T3 add
    @gridGutterWidth980: 20px;
    @gridColumnWidth980: floor((@T3gridWidth980 - @gridGutterWidth980 * (@gridColumns - 1)) / @gridColumns);
    @gridRowWidth980: (@gridColumns * @gridColumnWidth980) + (@gridGutterWidth980 * (@gridColumns - 1));

+ Backup all the css files customised on your site, then click Compile LESS to CSS button in JA Obelisk template admin panel.

+ Open the templates/ja_obelisk/css/custom.css file and add this new rule:

.container {
    padding-left: 10px;
    padding-right: 10px;
    }

Let me know if it helps.

midhat Friend

It works!
    Thank you,
    You’re a real ninja 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  midhat 10 years, 5 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum