Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Does anyone know if it is possible to designate more than 50 module positions in Joomla?

If so, how is this accomplished? – as there are only enough fields for 50.

:confused:

TomC Moderator

* * * See Below * * *

TomC Moderator

The answer has been found . . .

Thanks to member “fabs” at the Joomla Forum, the following is how you can create more module position fields within your Joomla Administration (and thus, create more module positions).

Within your Joomla files (on your server), open –> administratorcomponentscom_templates and open admin.templates.html.php

In line 357 you have this code:

function editPositions( &$positions, $option ) {
    global $adminLanguage;
    $rows = 25;
    $cols = 2;
    $n = $rows * $cols;
    ?>

If you modify the rows value you can have more forms. You just have to increment this value and then fill the forms, save it and it will add more records into the table.

I experimented with this and the fields you can create are virtually endless, depending on the parameters you set.
    For example, I set the rows to “50” and the cols to 3 – and I had 150 available module positions.

Again, where the additional module positions could come in handy is if you utilize two or more different templates for one global site, and you want to make sure there is no cross-module position mix-up (i.e. both templates having a “user1” position, but with different designated modules/content). Create new/unique module position names for your content.

TOM

ErikThorsen Friend

Thanks for posting this Tom. Not that I think I will ever need it but it is always useful when people post solutions they have found to a problem. Who knows, one day I would need this as well and what better place to look for it than here? 🙂

TomC Moderator

I just had cause to use this solution again – so I thought I’d bump it for newer members to benefit from as well.

🙂

coos Friend

<em>@tcraw1010 33601 wrote:</em><blockquote>I just had cause to use this solution again – so I thought I’d bump it for newer members to benefit from as well.

:)</blockquote>
    Can we see a site where you’re using more than 50 module positions?

I bet it’s collossal! 😉

TomC Moderator

It’s still in the works. The point is that I needed to create about 40 “user” positions for various things/options. The method in the first posts allows you to create more fields for this purpose (if needed).

mfcphil Friend

Its a great tip, but good house keeping helps try and get rid of some of the positions you don’t use anymore…bet we all have a lot:eek:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mfcphil 16 years, 10 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum