Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Hi,
    I am having difficulty getting my url to open in a new window and resized to a specified size.

i am using joomla 1.5.2 and it’s no problem establishing a link to open up in a new window, but when i put my settings for new window size the new window is resized appropriately, but depending on some of the settings i have tried the url that appears in that new window is either the home page of my own site or is page not found
    (the location bar will have
    http://www.mydomamin.com/http://www.domainiwant.com)

At any rate what i am looking for are the correct settings to get your link to open up in a new window, risized.

Can anyone help. i saw this same question posed at the form.joomla site but of course no answer….

THANKS.

Here’s what happens. When I utilize the pop up tab, what en

TomC Moderator

Why are you SHOUTING ????

😉

ellie_t Friend

i was afraid of that…my shift key doesn’t work and i have been typing so much i was tired of having to put the caps lock on for a capital and off for the second letter so i decided to put the caps lock on which is what i do for my emails when i am tired of the process. i touched a series of buttons on my keyboard a year ago and don’t know which ones of course, but my shift key creates a space prior to the letter desired so i have to backspace when i use it.

will i be igored because of it…i will edit if neccesary.

bigrk Friend

Here is the example from W3C:

<a href=”http://www.w3schools.com/”
    target=”_blank”>Visit W3Schools!</a>

ellie_t Friend

i am sorry, but i don’t understand what you are telling me.

are you giving me the url format that i shoud use in the link field…which doesn’t make since since there is a drop down to specifiy how you want the link to open.

yes, i do understand how to code html for a new window, but i need help on configuring the link feature in joomla 1.5.2 to open up an external url in a new window resized. i can configure properly to just open to a new page…but i want the new page resized.

thanks

bigrk Friend

I’m not sure what dropdown you are talking about but if you know how to code in HTML then you should be able to do this. The example I gave is the proper code to open a link in a new window. If that is not what you are after then visit the W3C site and search for the answer. I am sure it is there. Personally I hate websites that try to control the way I want my new browser windows to open. It is not very user friendly. HTML coding issues are not related to the template and is not a supported area here on the JA Forum. To do what I think you are asking I would have to search for the answer also.

ellie_t Friend

Well first of all, I can’t tell you how great it is to have someone try to help me so quickly.

Unfortunately, I am not communicating very well what I am trying to do.

First of all, please understand that although I am capable of hard coding html, I am not interested in doing so, that’s why I am using Joomla.

Here’s a play by play…

I select my ‘article’ in the ‘Article Manager’

Once in the edit mode and using the standard editor,
    I select a word that I want to establish as a link.
    I highlight the word
    I select the link button in the editor

A popup window appears which I can enter a variety of settings. This new menu contains 4 tabs. They are General, Pop-up, Events and Advanced.

In the General tab they are a number of fields which can be completed, they are
    Link Url
    Anchors
    Target
    Title
    Class

In the Pop-up tab the fields are
    Popup URL
    Window name
    Size
    Position
    and a number of options such as
    Show location bar Show scrollbars
    Show menu bar Make window resizable
    Show toolbars Dependent (Mozilla/Firefox only)
    Show status bar Insert ‘return false’

The other two tabs have a number of settings as well although I haven’t tried entering anything there.

As far as the values that I have entered…

For the tab General I enter the following
    Link Url – my target url
    Anchors-
    Target – i set this to ‘open in new window’
    Title –
    Class-

I close this window, i save, i preview and it works, i click on my word, an external url appears in a new window as one would expect.

BUT, i want more !! I want the window to open in a new window that is a smaller size so
    I enter values under the Pop-up tab. The values that i enter are
    Popup URL – http://www.url.com
    Window name
    Size x 800 y 800
    Position
    and a number of options such as
    Show location bar Show scrollbars
    Show menu bar Make window resizable
    Show toolbars Dependent (Mozilla/Firefox only)
    Show status bar

Now, when i do this, i get a nice new resized window BUT, it is ‘page not found’

So now….can you help me ?

bigrk Friend

This would be a Joomla issue or the WYSIWYG editor you are using. You will have to post in those forums for your answer. Did you know that in modules, etc. that if the box at the bottom of the page says Custom Output that you are not supposed to use a WYSIWYG editor. That is why in the Global Config they give you the option No WYSIWYG Editor. If you use a editor in these areas it can cause all sorts of problems. Sorry I can’t help but I never use a WYSIWYG editor.

ellie_t Friend

it’s the editor in the default set up. seem like if i shouldn’t be using it, why would it be enabled.

the forum i am in describes itself as
    ‘General Questions’
    ‘General questions on Joomla! or JoomlArt products which dont fit in any of the specific forum areas’
    isn’t that what i am doing…asking a general question about a basic joomla feature?

Did not know about the custom output notice. Thank you for that.

bigrk Friend

This is a Template Club so I suggested the other forums so you might get a quicker answer to your question. Maybe someone will be able to answer your question but there is no guarantee that Joomla related questions will be answered. Good luck going forward. 🙂

ellie_t Friend

Ok. Thanks for your input and it’s reasonable. I would still like to know the answer on how to configure this link, but will do the basic html code with a bit of java to get the job done and maybe i will stumble across the answer down the road. Honestly, I have had no luck with the joomla forums…the only responses I get are the ones that say…yeah…I wanna know that too.

Thanks.

bigrk Friend

Did you try the TinyMCE Editor forum? http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/punbb/index.php

Remember that it is TinyMCE version 2.0 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bigrk 16 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum