Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hey all, I’ve been trying to install Mesolite with cPanel. This is my first time on it. I unziped the quickstart zip into the correct folder on the server. So that step is done, however ..

Here’s where I get alittle lost. According to the JoomlArt instructions on quickstart, it says:

“Start installation by typing your URL to the quickstart that you have extracted (uploaded) ?

I understand that the URL is the address or path, but would I type into the address bar of the browser ? http://mywebsite/jamesolite/quickstart ? Where do I type this, should I be in cPanel ?

Also … I renamed the jamesolite15 and quickstart folders in small letters, not capitalized.

Ok, any suggestions appreciated. I am reading the other threads on this but some of it has wording I dont quite get.

Thanks to all replies

TomC Moderator

Assuming you have your files configured correctly on your server, the url would simply be the url for your website – http://www.whateveryourwebsitename.com

The quicktstart installation files will take it from there.

Joomla.org has an excellent Joomla Guide that takes you through the process step-by-step as well.

greenedit Friend

I found it … thank you

mj1256 Friend

so, how did you make out?

greenedit Friend

mj1256, thanks again for your time on helping.
    I have a question for you regarding where the proper placement of the folder should be on server.

So when I log into my FTP. There is showing in the root directory 7 folders:

do I create a new folder for Ja Mesolite and put it there on ROOT, or do I create the folder INSIDE of 1 of these 7 ? Does it matter where the quickstart folder goes ?

Thanks again for all your help

tonyg Friend

Hi greenedit,

I know you were directing the question at mj1256 but I’m sure he wouldn’t mind me answering it. You should place the content of the Quickstart folder into a folder on the root, one of the 7 folders you mentioned will be name usually htdocs or public_html there are possibly other names. You can post back with the 7 folders, it will then be easily identify.

I hope that help

mj1256 Friend

sorry about the late replay, I have to sleep sometimes 🙂

as he said. you upload the zip file to htdocs or public_html, which ever you have and unzip it there. Its usually public_html and that will be the root of your new site. This applies to most hosts, EXCEPT godaddy. They have their own proprietary setup.

Are you hosted at godaddy

tysonbravo Friend

<em>@mj1256 74902 wrote:</em><blockquote>sorry about the late replay, I have to sleep sometimes 🙂

as he said. you upload the zip file to htdocs or public_html, which ever you have and unzip it there. Its usually public_html and that will be the root of your new site. This applies to most hosts, EXCEPT godaddy. They have their own proprietary setup.

Are you hosted at godaddy</blockquote>
    mj256,

I hope u don’t mind if I interupt but I am having the same difficulty understanding this installation. I use Netfirms.com which has it’s own proprietary system, much like GoDaddy’s. The root folder only has a folder called “www”. I currently have a site up and running there and it cannot go down. So, I created a subfolder called Jamesolite and FTP’d all the folders and files (EVERYTHING) inside the Quickstart zip to this folder. (incidentally, it took about 30 minutes for everything to get up to that folder…..seems like too long….)

Once all the folders were uploaded, i went to that URL (http://www.mysite.com/jamesolite) and it had the joomla statement that I needed to remove my installation folder. I did this, then it reverted back to a different Joomla template I had been working with, which I don’t even know how it was still there b/c I literally overwrote everything…

Sorry, that was a mouthful. If you could just tell me the exact location of the instructions on joomla.org I’ll go try to ecucate myself some more.

Thanks,
    Tyson

mj1256 Friend

well, 30 seconds seems to short a time for an upload of a quickstart package.

you did not run the installation program

delete everything, including the database and start over

can’t you use your cpanel to upload the quickstart and then just unzip it.

anyway, when you go back to the new site after re uploading, make a new empty database, go to yoursite.com/jamesolite

if you get the remove instalation message again, do not remove it, try going to mysite.com/jamesolite/installation and that should give the install screen

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mj1256 16 years, 1 month ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum