Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I notice that Joomlart templates plant cookies on visitors’ computers. Certainly my JA_Ruby template does that when people visit my site.

I noticed someone asked you, over three years ago, why cookies are needed in JA templates. He got no answer.

I’m now asking this question again. The new EU law on cookies has been adopted by the UK, and by end April 2011 it will become illegal to plant cookies on visitors’ PCs without giving them an informed choice. (This is not just our own opinion; see legal references at the end of the linked article.)

Can you tell us why exactly you need to issue a cookie, so we can inform visitors in due course? This is not a curiosity issue, it’s a legal issue.

Thanks.

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

Hi Bruces,

thanks for the info, we are going through the same. Regarding the cookies issue you have pointed out, for example in ruby template, cookies are used to remember user preference of menu system, color or other settings, which can be set from frontend.

I do see the seriousness of the whole cookie issue, so far it has been standard practice by template or extension developers to use cookies to provide features. We do not have any mechanism to gather any info out of them and pretty much harmless.

This issue affects all and i am sure, before the law comes to force, we would have some remedy for the same.

Regards

Arvind

bruces Friend

Great to have your feedback on this… Right now we’re working with clients on forward projects in a 3-6 month timeframe, and we need to have a solution for them. So we’ll be on the lookout for your remedy for this problem with great interest. Thanks.

tigershark Friend

<em>@bruces 200403 wrote:</em><blockquote>Great to have your feedback on this… Right now we’re working with clients on forward projects in a 3-6 month timeframe, and we need to have a solution for them. So we’ll be on the lookout for your remedy for this problem with great interest. Thanks.</blockquote>

Any update on this as we have until the 26th May 2012 to implement a solution?

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

You can refer to this thread for details :

http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/eu-cookie-directive/

One of the other member found it suitable to implement.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Arvind Chauhan 12 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum