Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I have previewed some of your templates and liked them. Before joining the club to use some of them, I need to clarify one important (for me) area.

Are your Joomla templates easy to customize for non coders like myself – with very basic HTML and CSS knowledge only? Creating actual graphic design work is something else, which I don’t have any problem on this area.

I couldn’t see anywhere for detailed of your Joomla template customization documentation. Does each template come with documentation to guide me on customization? ie. telling me if I want to change footer text, image, size etc, where should be looking exactly etc.

Unless, I am the unique owner of the template, they are worthless to use them as is even though they are beautifully designed and put together. I am not talking about fundamental level customization, rather I’d be customizing the template I decide to use by replacing graphics, colors, fonts, sizes etc. Mostly CSS level, leaving main structure intact.

Additional Question:
    Are all club themes works with latest Joomla, ie. Joomla 1.5.5.. ?

EDIT
    After a day, still no answer… This is a valid inquiry from a prospective customer. It tells me a lot about your customer support. Lucky, I have not signed up. I think, I’ll spend sime time and learn bit of PHP then create my own templates.

TomC Moderator

<em>@ck101 71291 wrote:</em><blockquote>I have previewed some of your templates and liked them. Before joining the club to use some of them, I need to clarify one important (for me) area.

Are your Joomla templates easy to customize for non coders like myself – with very basic HTML and CSS knowledge only? Creating actual graphic design work is something else, which I don’t have any problem on this area.

I couldn’t see anywhere for detailed of your Joomla template customization documentation. Does each template come with documentation to guide me on customization? ie. telling me if I want to change footer text, image, size etc, where should be looking exactly etc.[/quote]
    Customization of Joomla based templates is largely based on the relative CSS classes/rules. You don’t really need to know any PHP, though it is a good idea to study the index.php file for the template you are working with and get a general idea of how things are coded … you can usually educate yourself on the basics that way. (Believe me, I couldn’t code anything in PHP to save my life, but through studying Joomla based templates, I at least have a general idea of how things are put together in these templates).

ck101I am not talking about fundamental level customization, rather I’d be customizing the template I decide to use by replacing graphics, colors, fonts, sizes etc. Mostly CSS level, leaving main structure intact.

If this is the case, then it’s the CSS you will be dealing with. Again, it’s a matter of becoming familiar with the JoomlART CSS structure – which rules control which aspects of the template – and going from there. If you ever get stuck, that’s what the Support Forums are for. 🙂

EDIT
    After a day, still no answer… This is a valid inquiry from a prospective customer. It tells me a lot about your customer support. Lucky, I have not signed up. I think, I’ll spend sime time and learn bit of PHP then create my own templates.</blockquote>
    Dude …. you really need to learn to exercise some patience. The world does not revolve around your schedule alone. Both JA Staff members and Members who enjoy trying to help (like myself) try to get to posts we think we can lend a hand in as quickly as possible.
    We all have lives outside of JA – as I am sure you have things you do outside of designing websites, yes?

mj1256 Friend

you do need to have an intermediate knowledge of joomla and it works

you need to have basic HTML and css knowledge, although you don’t need to code anything from scratch, you will need to find files and edit them.

if you want to change out graphics, you will need to know basic graphic editing skills using something like photoshop or gimp.

you will have a learning curve on how to customize the templates for your needs, but once you figure out how they are put together and where all the peices are, it becomes quite easy as the infrastructure of the templates is fairly universal.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mj1256 16 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum