Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

We are currently using CSS files in the t3-assets/dev folder (we have not had time to work out how to apply our customizations to the LESS files and do it all this way).

Everything is generally fine but from time to time, with no user action in the backend, the CSS files in the t3-assets/dev folder are overwritten with what is presumably the results of a LESS-CSS compile. We keep a copy of the modified files and overwrite once we detect this.

Can you advise on how this can happen. I can assure you that no-one is pressing LESS-CSS compile or doing anything in the back end that might lead to this. In the most recent case no-one was even in the back end when it happened.

Thanks

Steve

TomC Moderator

They way you’ve been doing it is susceptible to overwriting upon template or joomla core file updates.

What you need to do is utilize the CUSTOM.CSS method – which will protect your CSS modifications from being overwritten upon updates/upgrades.

Either way, an important rule of thumb is to always perform a complete backup of your entire site before performing any updates/upgrades. Better safe than sorry.

mustards Friend

Thanks Tom. I’m not sure this method will work for me as I’ve made modifications to the core files. Or can I put my version of the style in the custom.css file and this will override the style in the core file?

Anyway, I’m not sure the files are being overwritten by a template update. The template says 2.0.2 from 28 November 2014 and the T3 framework is 2.4.1 from 11 November 2014. I don’t think core Joomla updates should affect template files – how would Joomla contain these? Regardless of this, I’m using 3.3.6 which dates back to 1 October 2014. All the overwrites have been since then, including one yesterday.

Steve

TomC Moderator

<em>@mustards 459308 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thanks Tom. I’m not sure this method will work for me as I’ve made modifications to the core files. Or can I put my version of the style in the custom.css file and this will override the style in the core file?</blockquote>

Using the custom.css file will not work for ALL modules …. but it does work for the core template/joomla css files. So yes, you can transfer custom css modificatiosn to core files you’ve made to your custom.css file, and they should be protected.

TomC Moderator

<em>@mustards 459308 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    Anyway, I’m not sure the files are being overwritten by a template update. The template says 2.0.2 from 28 November 2014 and the T3 framework is 2.4.1 from 11 November 2014. I don’t think core Joomla updates should affect template files – how would Joomla contain these? Regardless of this, I’m using 3.3.6 which dates back to 1 October 2014. All the overwrites have been since then, including one yesterday.

Steve</blockquote>

So you’re saying css customizations you’ve made are being randomly overwritten?

Also, it’s not a good idea to be making css modifications within the/any t3-assets file.
    This may be the root cause of your issue.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 9 years, 8 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum