Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I think it will be a great idea to develop templates for phpBB3, fitting the released Joomla template(s). This is what is new on RT. Although I do not like RT templates, this idea is very, very good. I think a lot of members are waiting on this kind of stuff and I think it can generate a lot of new members.

I advise JoomlArt to consider this seriously.

Peter

jwellman Friend

I use PHPBB on several sites. I think it is greatly needed. I’m not at all impressed with Fireboard.

slowsteady Friend

I agree 1000%. PhpBB3 is the way to go!

scotty Friend

I too prefer phpBB over fireboard but I think the RT template is a poor example of phpBB integration. A Joomlart member did a much better job with sanidine and phpBB here…

http://illusionnetwork.co.uk/forum/

swemmel Friend

scotty;93934I too prefer phpBB over fireboard but I think the RT template is a poor example of phpBB integration. A Joomlart member did a much better job with sanidine and phpBB here…

http://illusionnetwork.co.uk/forum/

Hey Scotty,

I did not say that I like the templates of RT much. I was only thinking that this was a good idea for JoomlArt. 🙂 I am sure the JoomlArt team can do a much better job than RT. 😀

By the way, I love the site and integrated forum you mentioned. :p

Peter

roeland Friend

With the new Phpbb3.0.3 version there is inheritence possible. Meaning that it is going to be tooooo easy to port joomlart templates over to phpbb3. The only thing you will have to do is change the header, footer and main body files that make up a template. Then the next step is creating some nice grapichs for the forums themselves.
    I do not think there is a lot of money in it, while it is so easy (at least for someone with the basic knowledge of php/html). I have checked out the rockettheme templates, and in my opinion they are fantastic, as are the joomlart templates.
    When I have some spare time I’ll give it a go and show my results here (changing a joomla to a phpbb3 template that is).
    I would suggest staying away from it. The job is too easy to do and by that, there is no money to be earned from it.
    But it is just my idea…. I like the idea that I can have a forum template that goes with the joomla template, but I am not willing to pay for it, because of the simplicity……
    Maybe some people are willing to pay for it, and if they are, it is going to be too much fun to take the money:)
    By the way, my guess is the sanidine site is using the rockettheme Rokbridge for the integration….

swemmel Friend

roeland;94573With the new Phpbb3.0.3 version there is inheritence possible. Meaning that it is going to be tooooo easy to port joomlart templates over to phpbb3. The only thing you will have to do is change the header, footer and main body files that make up a template. Then the next step is creating some nice grapichs for the forums themselves.
    I do not think there is a lot of money in it, while it is so easy (at least for someone with the basic knowledge of php/html). I have checked out the rockettheme templates, and in my opinion they are fantastic, as are the joomlart templates.
    When I have some spare time I’ll give it a go and show my results here (changing a joomla to a phpbb3 template that is).
    I would suggest staying away from it. The job is too easy to do and by that, there is no money to be earned from it.
    But it is just my idea…. I like the idea that I can have a forum template that goes with the joomla template, but I am not willing to pay for it, because of the simplicity……
    Maybe some people are willing to pay for it, and if they are, it is going to be too much fun to take the money:)
    [/quote]

That’s great Roeland,

When it is tooooooo easy it is a piece of cake to do it for JoomlArt and it gives them at once a big step ahead comparing to the other clubs. It will attracty many new customers when with every JoomlArt template they provide a phpbb3 template for free, isn’t it? :p

By the way, my guess is the sanidine site is using the rockettheme Rokbridge for the integration….

It can also be jFusion. 😉

Peter

roeland Friend

You are right, it can also be Jfusion (but that sux in terms of visual integration, so I think it is rokbridge) also because it load reasonably fast). It may sound a bit crazy, but when I come across a site that is visually a pain to my eyes, and it is a site from where I may be going to use a component, it is already a big no to me. That is why I am not going to use Jfusion and explains a bit why I am more interested in Rokbridge. Rokbridge is so lightweight that I prefer that….
    On the other thing, nobody wants to give away templates for free, although I wish it were so….:p
    Anyway, if you want to read up on some of the phpbb3 template modding for joomla, take a look at the phpbb3 forums. From there you can gather how easy it really is (I forgot to mention, you also need to have some decent css knowledge). But you already have all the css, the menu info and the graphics from the joomlart template, so when I say it is easy, it means probably half a day of work to get the template exactly the way you want it. I have been reading up on the RokBB3 module for phpbb3 and this allows for easier menu integration. If and when it comes out, then I am sure it is going to be easy to also port over all menu styles from the joomlart templates.:D

This maybe a better idea, develop a module that allows integration of the two templates. Joomlart its own Joomlartphpbb3 module for phpbb3. Instead of creating new templates, create a module that takes the template info from the joomlart template and dynamically creates a phpbb3 template. Since it is just three files that need to be changed and some icons that need to be added. It is possible, but maybe a bit futuristic:)

roeland Friend

See this thread: http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/have-a-poll-on-phpbb3-templates/
    Vote, and let us see what happens!

harleydavidsons Friend

I like it PhpBB

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  harleydavidsons 15 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum