Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I really like this template and decided to use it. I was however surprise to hear from my hosting company (rochen) that I’m exceeding CPU usage so fast, about a week from date of launch of site. It’s shared hosting so I have to stay within 1% on a regular basis. Here is the usage report they sent

<blockquote>Aug 12 2012:
    x.com 4.07 0.15 0.1
    Top Process %CPU 103 [php]
    Top Process %CPU 102 [php]
    Top Process %CPU 94.0 /usr/bin/php /home/xxx/public_html/index.php

Aug 13 2012:
    x.com 1.81 0.13 0.0
    Top Process %CPU 80.0 /usr/bin/php /home/xxx/public_html/index.php
    Top Process %CPU 56.0 [php]
    Top Process %CPU 44.0 /usr/bin/php /home/xxx/public_html/index.php

Aug 14 2012:
    x.com 5.22 0.32 0.1
    Top Process %CPU 102 [php]
    Top Process %CPU 101 [php]
    Top Process %CPU 99.5 /usr/bin/php /home/xxx/public_html/index.php </blockquote>

Here is what I have done so far.
    1. I have added to my robots.txt file the following, however looking at my raw logs it does not appear it is a bot:

User-agent: *
    Crawl-delay: 10

2. I have enabled “On conservative caching” not sure which of the two is better, conservative or progressive?

3. I have enabled system cache via the plugin manager set to use browser caching to NO. Not sure if yes or no is best?

My hosting rochen came back to say that it is improved however still above what they allow.
    Any suggestions as to was script is causing this. I have left K2 installed on this template and I use it. I have not added any extensions other then a forms component that I know is not the problem because I have it on 5 other sites. I deleted the virtuemart shop that I think was on the quick start demo install? I have left the Acy Mailing component but I don’t use it, I doubt that this is taking up resource.
    I do have the who’s on-line block on home page would this affect cpu usage?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

jc

Ninja Lead Moderator

<blockquote>1) robots.txt</blockquote>
    You can read more information How to set up the robots.txt file in Joomla and a more usefull ROBOTS.TXT

<blockquote>2)Conservative or progressive </blockquote>
    You can use the both or more details

<blockquote>3) JA Template is using cache page</blockquote>
    You can use it.

With extension if you don’t use extensions, you can delete it.

Juan Carlos Stauring Friend

Hello, based on the changes I made on my first post cpu usage improved to:

<blockquote>Aug 20 2012:
    xxx.com 1.56 0.27 0.0
    Top Process %CPU 49.5 [php]
    Top Process %CPU 48.5 /usr/bin/php /home/xxx/public_html/index.php
    Top Process %CPU 40.0 [php]

Aug 21 2012:
    xxx.com 2.78 0.17 0.0
    Top Process %CPU 99.0 /usr/bin/php /home/xxx/public_html/index.php
    Top Process %CPU 98.0 /usr/bin/php /home/xxx/public_html/index.php
    Top Process %CPU 91.0 /usr/bin/php /home/xxx/public_html/index.php

Aug 22 2012 (partial stats, 12 hours into the day):
    xxx.com 0.93 0.11 0.1
    Top Process %CPU 92.0 /usr/bin/php /home/xxx/public_html/index.php
    Top Process %CPU 19.0 /usr/bin/php /home/xxx/public_html/index.php
    Top Process %CPU 5.0 /usr/bin/php /home/xxx/public_html/index.php </blockquote>

I’m switching from conservative to progressive caching to see if that will improve more.
    I’m not sure if I want to change my robots.txt file to the one on the thread by fw116, anyone here has had a good result of it?

thanks!
    jc

i switched back to conservative caching and as well optimized my db via mysql and that was likely the bigger problem. i did also disabled who’s on line module. so if anyone runs in to this don’t forget to optimize it after initial quick install and work and before launching. :p

I thought I had this beat, but I don’t I checked out my access logs and have a lot of these:
    “GET / HTTP/1.1” 200 96831 “-” “Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 GTB5”

Googled the string and found a few things on it:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archive/index.php/t-1088089.html
    http://tehsausage.com/paste/spam

an ip from that last link is in my access log.

Any idea whats the best method to prevent this via .htaccess? or any other way, I have K2 component is there a add on or extension that can prevent this?
    Thanks for the help, I have too deal with this due to possible suspension with hosting co.

jc

Answering my own threads here :-[
    trying some of these directives to my .htaccess file
    http://blamcast.net/articles/block-bots-hotlinking-ban-ip-htaccess
    http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess13.shtml

I’ll post to see if this worked.

symbic Friend

I too will be using this template and on rochen hosting so am interested to learn how you get on so please post if you solve your issue.
    Any help or comments from JA??

I will keep you posted symbic.
    So far not doing good with all my efforts and will now hopefully turn to some of the expertise here from developers please :confused:
    I will turn off bible verse of the day module. i don’t think it’s the problem but will see.

rochen sent this message today:

Here is the CPU usage stats for last 2 days and still looks the same, please check the Joomla script installed on this domain urgently and get back to us in next 24 hours with an update.

Aug 31 2012:
    holylandtourstravel.com 1.13 0.10 0.0
    Top Process %CPU 48.5 [php]
    Top Process %CPU 34.6 [php]
    Top Process %CPU 34.0 [php]

Sep 01 2012 (partial stats, 20 hours into the day):
    holylandtourstravel.com 1.28 0.09 0.0
    Top Process %CPU 73.0 /usr/bin/php /home/xxx/public_html/index.php
    Top Process %CPU 66.0 /usr/bin/php /home/xxx/public_html/index.php
    Top Process %CPU 35.0 /usr/bin/php /home/xxx/public_html/index.php

Ninja Lead Moderator

Thanks for your feedback to us. You can find more information about “increase performance on your site” from google.

<em>@symbic 336735 wrote:</em><blockquote>I too will be using this template and on rochen hosting so am interested to learn how you get on so please post if you solve your issue.
    Any help or comments from JA??</blockquote>

Hey sorry to get back to you so late on this. I have now several weeks with this template that all is well. Basically if you run in to any issues all the things I did here actually did end up helping and have not had any overage on cpu. I did reactivate the bible verse modules and plugins, they were not the problem.
    With Rochen you might run in to the IE6 browser warning message that pops up on your site, but there is a thread in here to easily deactivate the warning message.
    Template is clean and great so far, it is already generating revenue 🙂 for our company.

jc

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Juan Carlos Stauring 12 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum