Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I installed a quickstart package (Iris) onto a localhost server (xammp) to do some preliminary modification work. When I went to transfer the files to my webhost server (via ftp), I get a “Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL” message.

Is there some sort of additional configuration I need to do when transferring files from localhost to web host server – especially if I used a quickstart package?

Should I first install the quickstart from scratch onto my webhost server and then just overwrite the files I have modified?

:confused:

bennitos Friend

This guide might be able to help you:

http://www.howtojoomla.net/content/view/17/2/

Not sure if its for 1.0.x of 1.5.x but the basics should be the same.

TomC Moderator

Thanks bennitos:

Upon further reflection, I’m thinking that the issue might be that, when I installed the quickstart onto my xammp localhost server, I named the MySQL database something different than I have established on my webhost server – hence that MySQL error message. (This is my best guess, anyway).

I think what I am going to end up doing is simply reinstalling the Quickstart fresh onto my webhost server – set up the MySQL database properly – and then simply overwrite the relative css and index.php files accordingly. Seems this will be the easiest way to go.

😎

bennitos Friend

<em>@tcraw1010 63671 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thanks bennitos:

Upon further reflection, I’m thinking that the issue might be that, when I installed the quickstart onto my xammp localhost server, I named the MySQL database something different than I have established on my webhost server – hence that MySQL error message. (This is my best guess, anyway).

I think what I am going to end up doing is simply reinstalling the Quickstart fresh onto my webhost server – set up the MySQL database properly – and then simply overwrite the relative css and index.php files accordingly. Seems this will be the easiest way to go.

:cool:</blockquote>

You are correct about the MySQL error, but you should be able to edit that quite easy in your configurations file, just change the database name and user.

If you only have modifications to your css and index.php and maybe images it might be indeed be more easy to just reinstall the quickstart and overwrite the files.

But if you also put content in your website than you should still make an export of your old database and import it in the new one.

TomC Moderator

Luckily, no content yet – just relatively minor preliminary stuff.

:):)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 16 years, 3 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum