Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi,

My suggestion stems from the fact that I want to use JA Topaz for a corporate website, but it does not support haldhelds, iphones etc. – and it does not have a megamenu.

Also, I like a lot of the older designs, but I would be reluctant to use these older templates, as they do not support the increasing number of mobile web browsers.

Perhaps you could update some of the older web templates to be compatible with handhelds and iphones.

Just a suggestion. Perhaps this is being done already – maybe other people would like to see some of the older templates updated too?

For me, this would be almost better than releasing a new template every month. I would sacrifice one completely new template per month, to gain an updated older template that I wouldn’t otherwise have used.

Anonymous Moderator

Hi smitheringale,

Actually, the selection of older templates to get updated to T3 framework with many advanced features like native handheld device and RTL support has been planned for this year already.

More information could be found via: http://www.joomlart.com/blog/ja-blog/top10-things-coming-up-in-2010.html item #9.

And glad to hear that you have found the right solution for you currently

smitheringale Friend

Hi JA Developer.

Excellent news in your reply 🙂

I have already had a look at one of the bonus templates and it looks good (the other points to ja raite in your demo area and so I could not see this one – except in the preview picture, which also looked good).

pocketbikemike Friend

How long will we wait for these updates?

smitheringale Friend

<em>@pocketbikemike 166364 wrote:</em><blockquote>How long will we wait for these updates?</blockquote>

I believe at least 2 templates have already been updated and released.

martinahovi Friend

Hi, same thread … Right now you are talking update but not repsonsive? I have just seen, one of my favourites (ja_tiris) has been updated but it does not show that it is now responsive.

Did I miss something?

I have seen with rockettheme, that they are actually making all last years templates responsive (only 2 missing yet). For a running project, I would love to use mezodine … but I am reluctant to use a non-responsive template.

So my question: any plans for ja_tiris and ja_mezodine to go responsive short term?

aardcom Friend

I realize this is flogging a dead horse but I do think it is an issue that should be addressed by the JA Devs. There is only one place in the forums where it was admitted that older 1.5/1.6 templates will no longer be updated. This is after years of claiming otherwise.

If you are building templates that only run on T3 platform then it’s only here we can get support for upgrades. Other template clubs have either updated existing templates or are in the process of doing so. They must realize that it’s as important to retain existing customers as to bring in new ones. If you don’t support those users who have implemented your templates in 1.5 and prior, why should we expect it to happen in the future.

As for the reasoning that everyone is too busy upgrading to 3.0/3.1, why not wait until 3.5, when most users are likely to upgrade and the platform is stable and a long term release. You can still release new templates in both 2.5/3.0.

I’ve seen enough comments to know that there are many that want the upgrade but have either left them in 1.5/1.6 or have changed the template entirely. I believe many of the templates could easily be updated to 2.5 with or without the T3 framework and doing so would put you back on top with a huge list of available templates. If we didn’t need T3 for the old templates, I don’t see why it has to be implemented for an upgrade to work, and could save on development time. Then again I could be wrong.

I do know that this upgrade process needs improvement especially when the framework upgrades come into play and we have a number of sites to apply them to. It’s now more time consuming to upgrade existing working sites that people are happy with than building a new site altogether. Forcing us to change templates, forces clients to reconsider Joomla as a CMS. While I have been successful with some, its a time consuming process.

I know there is only so much time in the day, but as a business model JA should at least consider the members and the time we have put into customizing templates and getting them out. You have some great older templates that could be updated and members would use on new projects. I am certain of that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  aardcom 11 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum