Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi, I have Biz template installed in a website from a year ago, and since then the template has upgraded and my site says to update. I’m concerned as I have made changes to the css of the template styling, and if I upgrade, those styling changes will be overwritten. Some templates from other companies I’ve used have a place in managing the template, where they add custom code, and this doesn’t change the templates .css files, it just overrides, I’m guessing by adding to the <head> of every site page? How can I find what changes I’ve made to the css of this template that needs updating as I believe I’ve made changes to the actual .css files, and how do you recommend as the correct way of making css changes for the future?

TomC Moderator

Unless you’ve kept some kind of log and/or remember yourself which CSS files/rules you’ve modified, it will be very difficult to identify which particular elements you’ve changed. Your BEST BET is to conduct a COMPLETE BACKUP of your entire site – and then upgrade/update things.

I would strongly recommend using AKEEBA BACKUP for this.

Then, once you’ve upgraded your template, you should be able to utilize either the CUSTOM.CSS method to make/protect your CSS modifications, or (depending on the T3 Framework version you’ll be using, utilize TEMPLATE OVERRIDES.

Either way, it is ALWAYS a smart thing to completely back up your entire site before initiating ANY updates/upgrades.

TomC Moderator

Unless you’ve kept some kind of log and/or remember yourself which CSS files/rules you’ve modified, it will be very difficult to identify which particular elements you’ve changed. Your BEST BET is to conduct a COMPLETE BACKUP of your entire site – and then upgrade/update things.

I would strongly recommend using AKEEBA BACKUP for this.

Then, once you’ve upgraded your template, you should be able to utilize either the CUSTOM.CSS method to make/protect your CSS modifications, or (depending on the T3 Framework version you’ll be using, utilize TEMPLATE OVERRIDES.

Either way, it is ALWAYS a smart thing to completely back up your entire site before initiating ANY updates/upgrades.

wendyp Friend

Thankyou, I had hoped there would be a way to compare my theme’s original css with the modified css so that I can see where the changes were made, copy them to a custom.css file and then update. (Backed up of course). If not, then I’ll have to try to identify them, copy the changes to a custom.css file and hope for the best. Luckily, many of the changes I’ve commented out the originals and then typed in the changes ( // ), so I can find quite a few. Thanks for the reply.

wendyp Friend

Thankyou, I had hoped there would be a way to compare my theme’s original css with the modified css so that I can see where the changes were made, copy them to a custom.css file and then update. (Backed up of course). If not, then I’ll have to try to identify them, copy the changes to a custom.css file and hope for the best. Luckily, many of the changes I’ve commented out the originals and then typed in the changes ( // ), so I can find quite a few. Thanks for the reply.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wendyp 8 years, 11 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum