Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello,
    I would like to throw in some constructive critique… to perhaps help in making the world a better place. 😎

I would like to suggest that, from a usability POV, few things are more aggravating to Users than a Split menu which does not display sub-menu options on MOUSEOVER of upper level items… As is the case with ja-nerine for example.

That is to say, in horizontal menus, the extra click to display the sub-menu is a major no-no!. Of course, once clicked, the sub-menu must remain in place.

Keep up the good work… but for the sake of our USERS, PLEASE get serious with your navigation methodologies.

I realise that some of the JS templates attend to this detail quite correctly… but it should be mandatory.

Cheers,
    Chris(tophe)r.

flsfpd Friend

Could you give an example of a good use of Split Menu proper use? Either a link to a website or a demo somewhere?

As a side note – do you know of a menu system similar to the one on Facebook? If you don’t have access, it’s similar to the drop down systems (transmenu, moomenu, etc) but the menu is only activated (appears) when the top level item is clicked.

tophe Friend

Hi,
    Well, I just took a quick look around…
    From the Joomlart Demo site > ja_hedera > Navigation >> Select Dropline Menu

IMO, this is how a horizontal menu should behave.
    OnMouseover, display the options – One should NOT have to click everything just to see options. ** a usability No No!
    Once clicked, the options remain in place > until navigated away to a different top-level menu.

The principle of navigation systems is simple. To get FROM anwhere on a site TO anywhere else – with as few clicks a possible to a max of THREE.

The more easily a User can see the options available, the more likely they are to explore.

Chris

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tophe 16 years, 12 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum