Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi,
    I’m quite green with Joomla and not familiar with its limitations yet but I’m committed to using this wonderful CMS and the fantastic templates you have.

Question and Site Explaination:

Can I install two different templates in the one Joomla installation. For example:
    I currently have Joomla installed in root.com – the landing page and hopefully the home of the magazine style site.

Then under root.com/search I have mosets tree extension installed, a business directory using its own extension that is claimed to work with any Joomla template. Currently it is using it’s own very basic template I’m not sure was therightchoice I made.

Now I want root.com to have uber and one of the many templates I can choose that are entirely different from the one in root.com/search. I guess I’ll use hyperlinks to move between root and root/search

Main question – open to suggestions:
    Should I use sub directories – search.root.com and a full Joomla installation in each subdirectory or can I nominate (choose) Uber for the root (landing) and have a different template for root/search and root/magazine (not yet in existance)? Your advise will be greatly apreciated.

arthurjohnston Friend

This may not be the proper forum for your question. This is more of a general Joomla Question rather than a JoomlArt question.

Hopefully, I understand your question

You can install as many templates within your Joomla installation as you desire. Each template can be assigned to a different Menu position. For an example:

The Menu item “Home” could be assigned the UBER Template. On that same page the Menu Item “News” could be assigned the Teline Template and so forth.

When I first started experimenting with Joomla, I found that asking questions and receiving answers, at my level of understanding was difficult. The answers seemed to just create more questions.

If can I be of assistance (with my limited knowledge) do not hesitate to send me a private message.

technoaussie Friend

Thank you Arthur,
    I was concerned that this may not be the right forum but one has to start somewhere. I see now (on my localhost version) how to do it. Amazing stuff compared the restrictions I’ve been used to struggling with.

Phill Moderator

Glad you worked it out. It is so easy since Joomla 2.5. There can be instances where certain templates do not play well in the same Joomla install, but that is not too often and not always a problem.

Good luck with your project, be sure to show it off when you have finished it. If you run into ant trouble with the Joomlart stuff we will do our best to help.

technoaussie Friend

Phill… You have no idea how comfortable your statement makes me feel. I paid highly for an extension and equally highly for the totally blank ‘template’ the author recommended using. The extension is OK for what it does. The main part of this site will be a national magazine I am changing from paper to digital. A giant leap of faith for me. The quick and accurate responses I’ve had from my few questions here, has me asking “Why did I wait so long” Thanks.

gavind Friend

Outstanding job here Phil. You should be given a commendation for this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  gavind 9 years, 7 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum