Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I have recently mastered installing ja templates! This is after 7 months of trying. Now I have figured it all out, I need to know if I can use 2 ja templates on one installation of Joomla.

Example: I intend to use a magazine template to provide an on-line lifestyle magazine. Attached to this I plan to have a Directory of businesses. Possible a shopping cart also. I would like advice on the best way to do this, having regard for Google’s reaction to one of my sites that had the directory in a sub-domain. I couldn’t get access to the sub-domain’s statistics.

I realize now I should have used either two domains or all in the one domain with different folders. I have already experimented with 2 Joomla installations. One is the native install provided by the hosting firm and the other in a different folder, is ja directory. I’m fairly sure I can do this OK but is it the fasted way to have it running?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

TomC Moderator

Perhaps the following resources will be helpful to you . . . . . .

https://www.ostraining.com/blog/joomla/different-templates-different-pages/

TomC Moderator

Perhaps the following resources will be helpful to you . . . . . .

https://www.ostraining.com/blog/joomla/different-templates-different-pages/

technoaussie Friend

Thanks Tom but the question is about having two distinctively different sites on the one Joomla installation. I.E. a magazine and a Directory. I already use different templates for different pages I.E. the admin template as opposed to the one used in the main pages.

I’m fairly sure the way I’m using it now is good enough, I had hoped an expert might have been able to tell me if this is the ‘fastest’ way to do it.

Thanks for the third party links. Not a lot of value in answering my question I’m afraid. Been to most before asking here.

technoaussie Friend

Thanks Tom but the question is about having two distinctively different sites on the one Joomla installation. I.E. a magazine and a Directory. I already use different templates for different pages I.E. the admin template as opposed to the one used in the main pages.

I’m fairly sure the way I’m using it now is good enough, I had hoped an expert might have been able to tell me if this is the ‘fastest’ way to do it.

Thanks for the third party links. Not a lot of value in answering my question I’m afraid. Been to most before asking here.

TomC Moderator

If it were me – as I have done this before – I would have my second site as a “sub-site” with it’s own full installation within my main site’s file structure. So the file path would be something like mainsite.com/sub-site ….. or even designate a completely different sub-domain for the sub-site.

TomC Moderator

If it were me – as I have done this before – I would have my second site as a “sub-site” with it’s own full installation within my main site’s file structure. So the file path would be something like mainsite.com/sub-site ….. or even designate a completely different sub-domain for the sub-site.

technoaussie Friend

Yes, that’s how I have it at present. If you use a sub-domain I.E. http://www.mysite.com and sub.mysite.com you get into problems with DNS when you put the sites in the cloud and Google will only let you have access to one set of statistics. I’ve got such a site (not a Joomla installation) that caused me grief when I tried to get statistics for the sub domain.

I set up a trial site with Joomla (no advanced template) and put ja-Directory in a folder inside the primary. It has 2 installation of Joomla now. I post the question because if I go ahead and build both sites like this only to find out later there is a better way, I’d be throwing a month’s work away to start again. I’d much rather get it right from the start, don;t you agree?

If you’d like to see the sites, I’ll send you the URLs off-line. I haven’t done anything towards security yet.

technoaussie Friend

Yes, that’s how I have it at present. If you use a sub-domain I.E. http://www.mysite.com and sub.mysite.com you get into problems with DNS when you put the sites in the cloud and Google will only let you have access to one set of statistics. I’ve got such a site (not a Joomla installation) that caused me grief when I tried to get statistics for the sub domain.

I set up a trial site with Joomla (no advanced template) and put ja-Directory in a folder inside the primary. It has 2 installation of Joomla now. I post the question because if I go ahead and build both sites like this only to find out later there is a better way, I’d be throwing a month’s work away to start again. I’d much rather get it right from the start, don;t you agree?

If you’d like to see the sites, I’ll send you the URLs off-line. I haven’t done anything towards security yet.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  technoaussie 9 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum