Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

As I reported in another post. Some features of the Joomla-Joomlart templates do not function properly when upgrading to Joomla 1.5.12 or Joomla 1.5.13.

One of those features would be the inline spacing being deleted, that is, these are deleted:

so that it is no longer possible to create variable spacing or indentation. See significance below.

Related observations:

1. Relevant to the problem perhaps, I found out that the icons (used for layout and editing) in the WYSIWYG default editor was no longer complete in the updated site (updated to either Joomla 1.5.12 or Joomla 1.5.13) with respect to Joomla 1.5.11.
    2. A new feature appears in the default editor: Path. What do we do with that?
    3. More troubling, I just found out that for some reason, Teline II sites that started from earlier versions (August 2008) — while successfully upgraded up to Joomla 1.5.11, and functional — once upgraded to either Joomla 1.5.12 or Joomla 1.5.13, will no longer allow edit and saving of old or new files.
    4. Example:
      http://joomla-university.org/jte15x098/layout-issues/joomla-1511.html
      This is an old site used more as a Sandbox, for problems like this. I was planning to document in this Sandbox site, the problems I encountered in my working sites, as I upgraded the latter from Joomla 1.5.11 to Joomla 1.5.12 or Joomla 1.5.13. However, while I was able to upgrade the Sandbox site

5. More recent versions of Joomla 1.5.x-Teline II, installed in 2009, when either upgraded to Joomla 1.5.12 or Joomla 1.5.13, from Joomla 1.5.11 allowed edit and saving of old or new files. However, these upgraded sites have the same problems reported in here — “delete of inline spacing” and “messed up default editor”, as described above.]

Cornelio

N.B.

Significance:

The problem described here will not be noticed in sites that do not use “inline spacing”. However, this issue is critical in literature sites, like those where you have poems.

Up to Joomla 1.5.11 – Teline II, the poem — shown with raw html tags below — will be formatted properly with unique indentations, for each line.

Examples of poems with unique inline spacing or indentation are shown here

http://joomla-university.org/jte15x098/layout-issues/joomla-1511.html

when the indentation or inline spacing feature is working that seem to be working up to Joomla 1.5.11

However, the unique inline spacing or indentation feature disappeared when the site is upgraded to either Joomla 1.5.12 or Joomla 1.5.13

<h3> O CAPTAIN! MY CAPTAIN! - J1.5.12</h3>
    <br />
    <br />O CAPTAIN! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
    <br />The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won,
    <br />The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
    <br />While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
    <br />    But O heart! heart! heart!
    <br />        O the bleeding drops of red,
    <br />            Where on the deck my Captain lies,

<br />                Fallen cold and dead.
    <br />
    <br />O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
    <br />Rise up- for you the flag is flung- for you the bugle trills,

<br />For you bouquets and ribbon'd wreaths- for you the shores
    <br />    a-crowding,
    <br />For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;

<br />    Here Captain! dear father!
    <br />        This arm beneath your head!
    <br />            It is some dream that on the deck,
    <br />                You've fallen cold and dead.

<br />
    <br />My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still,
    <br />My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will,
    <br />The ship is anchor'd safe and sound, its voyage closed and done,
    <br />From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won;
    <br />    Exult O shores, and ring O bells!
    <br />        But I with mournful tread,
    <br />            Walk the deck my Captain lies,

<br />                Fallen cold and dead.
    <br />
    <p align="right">
    Memories of President Lincoln<br />
    <i>Leaves of Grass</i> by Walt Whitman
    </p>

mj1256 Friend

these issues are not specific to JA templates or the teline II template, this is happening to all of us regardless of template used, its not even template related, the update had a completely new version of tinyMCE editor which is totally messed up.

cgc0202 Friend

I have not really used other Joomlart templates, except to test them before. I was supposed to use a new template, JA Mageia, for another site, but have postponed doing so.

Thus, I would be interested to know if the problems encountered above were unique to the JA Teline II or observed also in other Joomlart templates. I would appreciate any feedback, about other templates.

Thanks.

Cornelio

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@mj1256 138173 wrote:</em><blockquote>these issues are not specific to JA templates or the teline II template, this is happening to all of us regardless of template used, its not even template related, the update had a completely new version of tinyMCE editor which is totally messed up.</blockquote>

Thanks mj,

I just posted a similar question that you answered before I got a chance to read your response post. Do you know if someone is working on it?

Actually, even before this problem surfaced with the recent upgrades, what I observed is that the default editor (even in versions up to Joomla 1.5.11) tends to compress the files.

While other html mark ups like
    during

<div></div>
    <p></p>
    <br />

are retained. However, even up to Joomla 1.5.11, the default editor seems to systematically delete

during the file compression, so that if I edit an old file, with

I have to start all over again. I tried the numeric equivalent but it did not work either.

The default editor does not delete special characters (ISO markups) used in many foreign languages, so it seems to be unique with the

I wonder if anyone knows a script to circumvent this issue because I edit my literature database quite a bit.

Cornelio

Phill Moderator

I switched back to JCE for this very reason.

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@phill luckhurst 138180 wrote:</em><blockquote>I switched back to JCE for this very reason.</blockquote>

Thanks Phil,

Is it compatible with either Joomla 1.5.12 and Joomla 1.5.13? If you are using it can you please try the verse I included, if it will work (please provide link).

During the early days of Teline II, a number of people had issues with JCE and Teline II, thus I never tried it, up to now. Have you ever used Teline II and JCE? Sample links please.

Cornelio

mj1256 Friend

i switched to JCE becuase i had the same issues with a site with rocket theme template

Phill Moderator

The latest version of JCE works a treat with teline II but I cannot give you a link as it is in use on our intranet.

Be sure to go into the back end of JCE and switch off all the code correction malarky and you will have no problems. A lot of people just accept the defaults which is where the problems start.

cgc0202 Friend

Thanks mj and Phil,

I read their installation briefly. I am a bit confused by the numbering of the versions for the Joomla 1.5.x. I undertstand I need the package. And what else among the others did you find useful and why?:

Extension Filename
    JCE Editor Installation Package com_jce_157_154_package.zip
    JCE Editor Plugin 1.54 plg_jce_154.zip
    JCE Admin Component 1.5.7
    com_jce_157.zip
    JCE Utilities 2.2.0 plg_jceutilities_220.zip

JCE IFrame 1.5.3 jce_iframe_153.zip
    JCE Captions 1.5.3 jce_caption_153.zip
    JCE File Manager 1.5.2 jce_filemanager_152.zip
    JCE Image Manager Extended 1.5.5 jce_imgmanager_ext_155.zip
    JCE Media Manager 1.5.4 jce_mediamanager_154.zip
    JCE Template Manager 1.5.5 jce_templatemanager_155.zip

JCE does not require Legacy mode in Joomla! 1.5.x

Also, do you disable, remove the default editor?

Cornelio

didima Friend

little confusing but worth checking out

cjmicro Friend

There are a couple updates patches posted on joomla forum regarding media manager and tinymce editors, you might want to search there… look under the migration/update topic.

Chery

ps5t0ck5 Friend

If Chery is talking about the patches for 1.5.13 they aren’t helpful – I updated a 1.5.9 template to .11 then .12 encountered problems, so reverted back to .11 tinyMcE, then tried the .13 with patches – no good can’t even save from the backend anymore. Readmore doesn’t work, image upload problems etc etc.

Luckily saved backup, but as upgrade was for security am reluctant to go backwards. As per advice from mj1256 in another post I installed JCE. Seems to be ok but haven’t had time to really get to grips with it or updating the site…

Joomla forum members are saying wait for .14……….. or maybe I’ll just wait for 1.6!

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@cjmicro 138647 wrote:</em><blockquote>There are a couple updates patches posted on joomla forum regarding media manager and tinymce editors, you might want to search there… look under the migration/update topic.

Chery</blockquote>

Thanks Cheryl,

But could you be more specific? Like some URL please or some more specific titles. I did some search today, but under tinyMCE but did not get any relevant threads where it was resolved.

<em>@ps5t0ck5 138777 wrote:</em><blockquote>If Chery is talking about the patches for 1.5.13 they aren’t helpful – I updated a 1.5.9 template to .11 then .12 encountered problems, so reverted back to .11 tinyMcE, then tried the .13 with patches – no good can’t even save from the backend anymore. Readmore doesn’t work, image upload problems etc etc. !</blockquote>

Good to hear this feedback ps5t0ck5.

I thought I was the only one. I had very old versions of Teline II that I did not get a chance to upgrade before. And like your observation, I can edit, but not save.

What I found is that updates from Joomla 1.5.10 up are OK, for the most part. But not the earlier versions. To my knowledge, most features of tinyMCE works (although its edit iconsdisplay has some icons missing). The only problem I econutered so far, is what I stated above.

<em>@ps5t0ck5 138777 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    Luckily saved backup, but as upgrade was for security am reluctant to go backwards. As per advice from mj1256 in another post I installed JCE. Seems to be ok but haven’t had time to really get to grips with it or updating the site…

Joomla forum members are saying wait for .14……….. or maybe I’ll just wait for 1.6!</blockquote>

I was able to install JCE Package

but like the tinyMCE, some icons were missing, and the most important, the “HTML” icon is missing.

What version of JCE Package did you use?
    Apart from the JCE Package, did you install any other JCE extensions?
    Did you have to install any patches with the JCE Package?
    What version of Joomla did you install it into?

I would be grateful if you can show a large image of the JCE editor window, used to edit article.

If you have a chance, can you please try adding

<br />      

and check if you can vary the indentation?

Cornelio

Phill Moderator

I’ll check those later. In JCE however, the html icone is replaces with a red <> icon.

Other icons that you may be missing can be enabled in the JCE back end.

I had problems with 1.5.12 in other templates (Zinc and Quartz) in that if you did save an article, published or not the readmore was not taken into account so the article both before and after the supposed readmore was visible and the article was always published even if you had it set to unpublished. I had to switch to JCE to get new articles to work as they should.

I have just upgraded all my sites to .14 and I will see what happens tonight when I add some more stuff.

ps5t0ck5 Friend

cgc0202;139644I was able to install JCE Package

but like the tinyMCE, some icons were missing, and the most important, the “HTML” icon is missing.

What version of JCE Package did you use?
    Apart from the JCE Package, did you install any other JCE extensions?
    Did you have to install any patches with the JCE Package?
    What version of Joomla did you install it into?

I would be grateful if you can show a large image of the JCE editor window, used to edit article.

If you have a chance, can you please try adding

and check if you can vary the indentation?

Cornelio

Hi Cornelio

Here goes…

I installed com_jce_157_154_package and that was it, no further patches or extensions. The Joomla version I installed into was 1.5.13 with patches. It works fine as far as I can tell, just have to get used to different command icons etc. I have attached an image for you of the editor and indented text. The icon for the code is the doc with <> over it. If you go into your components manager you can select the JCE component and check the plugins for their descriptions and icons.

I tried entering your code and even though the JCE component is configured not to clean up it removes       although the indentation remained after saving (the indent was only to the extent of 30px, not sure what indentation your code should achieve).

As you can see I did manage to get indented text but looking at the code it does this by adding padding ie. 30px and 60px in this case.

Hope this helps.

1. JCE-editor
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

This topic contains 34 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  ps5t0ck5 15 years, 1 month ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum