Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Okay, I’m just about fed up with my current web host – with whom I have been with for two years.

I am allowed 3 hosted domains on my plan, and I have been trying to install a different JA quickstart on each of them. When I get to the part about designating a database, the installation does not allow for database names with a dash (i.e. data-1, data-2). When I inquired to my web host about this, they told me that my shared server plan automatically designates “dashed” names and I cannot name them myself.

So, I am thinking that my choices are:
    1. Figure out a way to get the installation to accept “dashed” named MySQL databases
    2. Find a new web host that allows for custom named MySQL databases.

It’s tough because while I am on the brink of jumping ship, I like the fact that my plan offers 190 GB storage and 2500 GB bandwidth.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

TomC Moderator

Does anyone have any experience with 1&1 Internet web hosting (good/ bad / indifferent)?

mj1256 Friend

stay away from 1and1, the way they handle the databases make it difficult to work with joomla. you cannot name databases and they use an encryption method that has caused me issues in the past.

and worse of all, if you go to cancel they will make it as difficult as possible and hound you with email and calls. I just went through this with someone and it was a nightmare. It took almost 6 months to get clear of them. even after we cancelled they kept automatically charging the credit card.

if your looking for joomla hosting, go with rochenhost, they know all about joomla, have customer service that actually helps you, and the owners and management are active participants in the management of the joomla community. (Chris is on the board and Brad runs the joomla forum)

they may be a tad more expensive (and only a tad), but you get what you pay for, where as cheap is never anything more than cheap.

TomC Moderator

Well, I just checked out that rochenhot and I am a little disappointed in the amounf of bandwidth they offer. My current host offers 2500 BG and 1&1 offers the same or more – PLUS all the extras.

Any other suggestions?

EDIT:
    Dang, why do so many of these web hosts only want upfront payments (i.e. 3 months, 6 months, 12 months).
    I much prefer monthly.

anisjolly Friend

i’m with dreamhost and i’ve never had an issue. very flexible but that’s my experience.

I’ve tried quite a lot of providers (1and1, fasthosts – which are ok, dreamhost and more) and I have found dreamhost to be quite good.

http://www.dreamhost.com

if you’re interested in joining dreamhost – let me know, I’ll setup a discount code for you to knock some money off!!

I think for a yearly account it’s $119 (around £58) or 2 years being $214 (probably around £107).

I can setup a discount for you which will knock off a maximum of $50.

If you’re interested – pm me and i’ll setup a promo code and send it to you.

If anyone else is interested whilst reading this thread – feel free to pm me.

They offer:

# 500 GB Disk Storage
    # 5 TB Monthly Bandwidth (bandwidth increases weekly by 2GB – yes that’s right!!)
    # 97-Day Money-Back Guarantee

Forgot to say – these do monthly but I don’t know if my promo codes might work for that

TomC Moderator

One of my sticking points is the whole “upfront payment” thing.
    Does Dreamhost offer/allow month-to-month payments?

anisjolly Friend

i’ve just noticed on the dreamhost site it says pre-payment.

🙁

still my offer stands whenever you (or anyone wishes to take it up)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  anisjolly 16 years, 3 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum