Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi

I hope someone can help me here.

I created a website (sanidine) last year, and while I was building it I had it on the live server in a ‘New’ subfolder.

When the website was ready I copied the site from New folder to the top level of the domain.

The new site worked fine until recently when I noticed there was no website. It has disappeared from the search engines.

The strange thing is, that if you search on mydomain.com/new/index.php you see my test site, that has been receiving new content updates all along.

What has happened? What should I do?

Thank you

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

Dear munders,

The site has disappeared? from the search engine or from the server? I am bit confused. Please make me understand the situation (i may sound dumb here). :p

Regards

Arvind

munders Friend

From the search engines.

But like I said, if i type in the longtail URL i find the ‘test’ site still active.

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

Dear munders,

Did you resubmit the sitemap to google webmaster, when you replaced the main site? is the older site (in the /new folder) still active? You may want to add sitemap to your site, You can lookup Joomla Extension Directory for a good SiteMap extension. The only solution i see is to resubmit your main site sitemap to the search engines. The re-apperance of your site into the search is going to test your patience at the same time, when you submit the main site, you may want to stop the web crawlers to crawl your old site or else it would be duplication of content.

Regards

Arvind

munders Friend

I should have disallowed spider access to the ‘New’ folder but I forgot.

I wonder if Google etc has removed my main site if they saw the duplicate test site.

My issue now is that I might have to hide the test site (the only site) until the main one appears again.

Thanks

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

Not sure why google removed your main site. But you can start by :

1. Resubmitting the site map and verifying it in the Google Webmasters.
    2. Manually Submit your main site / sitemap in other search engines, such as yahoo, msn etc…..
    3. Avoid site map submission scripts, never read good reviews about them.
    4. Make a blog at http://www.blogger.com (Google owns it), publish related articles (different text) about your site and add links to your site content, something like, an abstract on blog and link to details on your site. The blogger is crawled daily by google bots and that would help, along with the site map of your site. Avoid duplicate contents. Be genuine and fair to the content.
    5. Add few of the interesting articles from your site to stumble upon or similar social bookmarking sites (reputed), they are also crawled daily by google bots. Any site with over 8-9 PR, is crawled daily by bots for content changes.

I might be wrong on some points above and i may be corrected if so. However, thats all i do to promote my site initially and it seems to have worked so far, without any negative impact on the site inclusion in the searches. Stay away from guys selling PR or early inclusion to searches. It usually takes a week for them to appear in the searches and months to get or scale the PR system.

Regards

Arvind

munders Friend

Thank you Arvind, that’s a vey thorough reply.

Please note that I am not a spammer and if the site has been removed due to duplicate content then it’s because of my mistake in not removing/hiding it. I do understand what you mean though.

Thanks again

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  munders 14 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum