Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Author

<blockquote>be patient, the error was reported hours ago… i think were asking too much, its saturday, some people have real life.
    </blockquote>

You realize they are selling product right? Would you be so accepting of these issues if it was another consumer item? I.E. Your new car, new TV, or maybe your next operation 😮

I realize in the end it is only a silly website template, but if every one keeps saying “Oh its ok, we aren’t in a hurry”, ” no problem, or “Oh golly its ok if its broke and late” then JA will continue to do things the same way. Again, like the design…..just not a fan of the execution.

Menalto Friend

To be honest i feel kinda pushed up against the wall here atm, alot of complains and not a single chance to do anything to solve things..
    This here is not good at all, not for JA or for all others.

sevil Friend

İt’s now more than 12 hours that the template released. I am very sad about the fedora template. It’s not really a exciting template. Whatever based on.. It’s really a poor work 🙁 What’s going up JA Team! You can do much better!

forgestone Friend

<blockquote>You realize they are selling product right? Would you be so accepting of these issues if it was another consumer item? I.E. Your new car, new TV, or maybe your next operation </blockquote>

I don’t believe the vendor market is remotely mature or deep enough in this area to satisfy everyone. I got my money’s worth when I bought my subscription, simply because there was already at least one template I wanted (and ended up using), and at $70 that wasn’t a bad price. (Particularly since I also got a year’s worth of new templates and extensions, and the entire existing portfolio of same.) If they were charging $70 per template the comparison with other consumer goods would carry more water.

RocketTheme is more technically proficient, but their templates look like blocky, unpolished evolutions of the old PostNuke theme styles. There’s not a one I’ve seen I would use in a commercial project, and I haven’t seen any member-created sites that look much better. I’ve discussed this issue with several designers in the area in which I work, particularly after the stable release of Joomla 1.5 simply because it’s such a fantastic platform for developing web sites for small businesses, and the same opinion has been almost universal. RT is “professional” versus most other template design sources, but it’s not truly “professional level” work. You CAN make some of their themes into such, but the work required means you could probably have started from scratch and accomplish the same thing. On the other hand, their support is very superior, and the themes tend to be less buggy. That alone makes them a favorite in the Joomla community, where you are marketing to a lot of people who not only can’t make their own templates, but have little idea how to get into the guts of Joomla or work at all in PHP. Joomlart could take some lessons from the RocketThemes support and forum system.

Yoo has technically some of the most cutting-edge themes out there, but their designs are similarly questionable, and as their templates mature they become increasingly CPU-intensive, which again doesn’t work well in some business environments. But in terms of wiz-bang features, they can’t be beat. They’re just more like proof-of-concept releases.

(I’d love to see some other template clubs that I don’t know about, but those are the big three that deserve mention. There’s Gavick and a few others, but their repertoire is limited or they suffer even worse in critical areas.)

Joomlart would save itself a lot of headache and criticms about design if they would invest some real work into the technical side, from template launch through support. You’ve really got to do something about the support. Empowering people who _want_ to help but can’t (for example, fixing the new theme demo with the unworking links, even when those people have demonstrated committment and about as much trustworthiness as you can expect would help. It would also help to formulate a plan for dealing with the numerous support requests from people who just don’t have a clue. Many questions cluttering the forums are actually questions about Joomla, not so much the template, or from people who just don’t take the time to do their own research and seem to think they should have to know no more than how to log in to the admin console in order to have the most advanced Joomla template available. If you would begin addressing these posts by noting that they are out of the scope of support, and perhaps moving them to a forum for unsupported questions, it would a) clean up the forums and give the negative nellies less fodder to get sour about and b) help what is apparently a limited English speaking staff sift through to the real and valid support concerns and address them. Because there is a _huge_ laundy list of valid concerns spread across the forums that get no response. I think there are several steps Joomlart could take that would not necessarily be costly that would dramatically improve support and cause a lot less frustration for people.

I’d also put some work into revamping the template fix announcement system and structuring information presentation. It can get confusing to try to find things on the site. I know Joomlart has made some efforts toward this, but it still looks like the amount of information has overwhelmed the rudimentary processes of organization and publication.

I also agree with doing away with the countdown to release. If you commonly have a problem meeting it, then you’re clearling overtasking your design team and causing them to rush. Make the countdown more general, and you’ll give them a few extra hours (or a day) to polish things up, and you’ll remove some of the reason some people gripe. There are some complainers who will look for any little thing to gripe about, and they’ll cause a ripple effect in the forums. People complaining that a template was supposed to be released 3 minutes and 30 seconds ago and demanding to know “what’s going on” is just pointless and only creates a springboard for more complaining by others. I signed up for two templates per month and I want that, but – especially at this price – I don’t care if you give me an exact countdown. Hold it back another 8 hours and test it more if you need.

pamelaj Friend

DITTO to forgestone. I have had many of the same thoughts and opinions. I also have similar opinions of Yoo and Rockettheme. I think Joomlart has far greater potential if they did pay more attention to the points you make here about being certain the template is working well BEFORE they put it on the site. I was a programmer so I know that sometimes it can take longer then you expect.

I also like how lean and fast these templates are.

The one HUGE change I would along with better support and bug free templates and extensions (along with better documentation) would be to make the added features/modules/components be more easily added to another template.

It is not easy to take an extension from one template and put it into another. Lots of hacking, searching, figuring out how to get it working and often it just doesn’t work well. You just have to use that specific template if you want that ONE feature like the gallery with the thumbnails in Avian. I thought I would be able to pick and choose the extensions and use them in whatever template I choose but that is just NOT how it is. It takes so much time I would rather find something that works somewhere else and pay for it.

I am now looking for extensions at joomla.org or finding out how to do it in javascript and just adding the code in that do what I want. I found a nice free gallery online, tabs and slides, and other features. It is just too time consuming to figure out how to add an extension, module, component from another Joomlart template. And they seem to be buggy anyway.

I was a programmer and worked as a debugger at a software company so I know you CAN check your code, test and make it bug free if you REALLY want to do that and you are careful. I did – so can others.

I hope Joomlart listens to these suggetions. I think it will help them become a more successful company. If they don’t – another company will eventually.

pamela

Michael Casha Friend

Hey guys,

I mentioned this to them last night and I could have sworn they fixed it, either way I’ve disabled SEF links on the site for the moment until they’re online to fix it – I am terribly sorry this happened and Menalto and I will certainly need to have a chat to Hung and work out a more structured plan for each release.

Thank you to all of you who reported this to us, and I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Hung Dinh Friend

Hi all,
    We are acknoledge some of the bug and are working to provide the updated packages as soon as we can.
    I am sorry for inconvinience. It is Sunday so we need a little more time

ErikThorsen Friend

Hmmmm…..

kashxo Friend

<em>@forgestone 47486 wrote:</em><blockquote>I don’t believe the vendor market is remotely mature or deep enough in this area to satisfy everyone. I got my money’s worth when I bought my subscription, simply because there was already at least one template I wanted (and ended up using), and at $70 that wasn’t a bad price. (Particularly since I also got a year’s worth of new templates and extensions, and the entire existing portfolio of same.) If they were charging $70 per template the comparison with other consumer goods would carry more water.

RocketTheme is more technically proficient, but their templates look like blocky, unpolished evolutions of the old PostNuke theme styles. There’s not a one I’ve seen I would use in a commercial project, and I haven’t seen any member-created sites that look much better. I’ve discussed this issue with several designers in the area in which I work, particularly after the stable release of Joomla 1.5 simply because it’s such a fantastic platform for developing web sites for small businesses, and the same opinion has been almost universal. RT is “professional” versus most other template design sources, but it’s not truly “professional level” work. You CAN make some of their themes into such, but the work required means you could probably have started from scratch and accomplish the same thing. On the other hand, their support is very superior, and the themes tend to be less buggy. That alone makes them a favorite in the Joomla community, where you are marketing to a lot of people who not only can’t make their own templates, but have little idea how to get into the guts of Joomla or work at all in PHP. Joomlart could take some lessons from the RocketThemes support and forum system.

Yoo has technically some of the most cutting-edge themes out there, but their designs are similarly questionable, and as their templates mature they become increasingly CPU-intensive, which again doesn’t work well in some business environments. But in terms of wiz-bang features, they can’t be beat. They’re just more like proof-of-concept releases.

(I’d love to see some other template clubs that I don’t know about, but those are the big three that deserve mention. There’s Gavick and a few others, but their repertoire is limited or they suffer even worse in critical areas.)

Joomlart would save itself a lot of headache and criticms about design if they would invest some real work into the technical side, from template launch through support. You’ve really got to do something about the support. Empowering people who _want_ to help but can’t (for example, fixing the new theme demo with the unworking links, even when those people have demonstrated committment and about as much trustworthiness as you can expect would help. It would also help to formulate a plan for dealing with the numerous support requests from people who just don’t have a clue. Many questions cluttering the forums are actually questions about Joomla, not so much the template, or from people who just don’t take the time to do their own research and seem to think they should have to know no more than how to log in to the admin console in order to have the most advanced Joomla template available. If you would begin addressing these posts by noting that they are out of the scope of support, and perhaps moving them to a forum for unsupported questions, it would a) clean up the forums and give the negative nellies less fodder to get sour about and b) help what is apparently a limited English speaking staff sift through to the real and valid support concerns and address them. Because there is a _huge_ laundy list of valid concerns spread across the forums that get no response. I think there are several steps Joomlart could take that would not necessarily be costly that would dramatically improve support and cause a lot less frustration for people.

I’d also put some work into revamping the template fix announcement system and structuring information presentation. It can get confusing to try to find things on the site. I know Joomlart has made some efforts toward this, but it still looks like the amount of information has overwhelmed the rudimentary processes of organization and publication.

I also agree with doing away with the countdown to release. If you commonly have a problem meeting it, then you’re clearling overtasking your design team and causing them to rush. Make the countdown more general, and you’ll give them a few extra hours (or a day) to polish things up, and you’ll remove some of the reason some people gripe. There are some complainers who will look for any little thing to gripe about, and they’ll cause a ripple effect in the forums. People complaining that a template was supposed to be released 3 minutes and 30 seconds ago and demanding to know “what’s going on” is just pointless and only creates a springboard for more complaining by others. I signed up for two templates per month and I want that, but – especially at this price – I don’t care if you give me an exact countdown. Hold it back another 8 hours and test it more if you need.</blockquote>

Very clearly and straightforward. Not even JoomlArt, every club which have these comments will appreciate them very much.
    I myselft worked as supporter for JA and still have nothing against your opinions. I will have a discussion with Hung Dinh on Monday (tomorrow) and surely that the support system MUST be improved.

PS: I would love and appreciate to have PMs from all of you who has suggestions or complaints about our services. Your comments will be our experiences and that’s will help us growing up.

Michael Casha Friend

I still believe we need to have the template finished before the release, and give us (staff) a few days to try it out.

shackbase Friend

Forgestone – a very well written post! Kudos!

JA Team – Basically what Forgestone mentioned, announce a template when it is done and tested and you have 1.5x and 1.0x ready to go with a quickstart that looks and acts like the demo install, thanks for acknowledging there were issues and that they will be fixed.

I still digress though that the release of this template was not quality checked at all, the demo does not puke out on those offending menu items anymore but they certainly do not contain what the menus says (colors, layout etc.) and the typography page still calls it the Fadora template.

–Tone

mfcphil Friend

What suprised me was the Template went out on a Saturday, I can’t remember JoomlArt working over the weekend in the past.
    I wonder if this may have been rushed out to keep customers happy and to keep the complaints down over the weekend.
    If this is the case it may have backfired on them slightly.

Everything will get sorted Monday, no doubt.

Hung Dinh Friend

<em>@forgestone 47486 wrote:</em><blockquote>I don’t believe the vendor market is remotely mature or deep enough in this area to satisfy everyone. I got my money’s worth when I bought my subscription, simply because there was already at least one template I wanted (and ended up using), and at $70 that wasn’t a bad price. (Particularly since I also got a year’s worth of new templates and extensions, and the entire existing portfolio of same.) If they were charging $70 per template the comparison with other consumer goods would carry more water.

I also agree with doing away with the countdown to release. If you commonly have a problem meeting it, then you’re clearling overtasking your design team and causing them to rush. Make the countdown more general, and you’ll give them a few extra hours (or a day) to polish things up, and you’ll remove some of the reason some people gripe. There are some complainers who will look for any little thing to gripe about, and they’ll cause a ripple effect in the forums. People complaining that a template was supposed to be released 3 minutes and 30 seconds ago and demanding to know “what’s going on” is just pointless and only creates a springboard for more complaining by others. I signed up for two templates per month and I want that, but – especially at this price – I don’t care if you give me an exact countdown. Hold it back another 8 hours and test it more if you need.</blockquote>

Thank you forgestone.

Your point of view is absolutely right. Each club has strong and weak points. We are aware of our weak points (which you made it clear) and your input will of great value to JA

bigrk Friend

WOW! Deja Vu! This thread is like so many others here in JA Land.

shackbase Friend

Is it just me or are JAs biggest critics their own moderators? 😮

–Tone

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)

This topic contains 67 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  ShannonN 16 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum