Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Can someone explain to be how a “bridge” works – in terms of “bridging” a particular third-party component or script with Joomla?

:confused:

ShannonN Friend

tcraw1010;21559Can someone explain to be how a “bridge” works – in terms of “bridging” a particular third-party component or script with Joomla?

:confused:

Hi Mate
    what does a metal or road bridge do ?
    It links something to something, that is left bank of river to right bank?

In joomla it links (or integrates) Joomla and the third party object
    It’s greatest use is probably within the Forum

most forum software such a VBulletin, Fireboard, SMF etc are designed as standalone products a bridge allows them to be shown within the Joomla site (on a page) and still run etc

Think of it as similar to Joomlas ‘wrapper’ feature but more flexible and powerful and usually specific to the 3rd party item also very important to using the same db as Joomla

Think that covers most of it in broad
    ShannonN

TomC Moderator

Thanks Shannon !!!

I figured it was something like that … but the added explanation you provide makes it that much clearer.

So, if I understand correctly, a “bridge” for a third-party script (or whatnot) is some kind of additional script or component that one activates to display the function within a Joomla site – correct?

So, if I were to commission a developer to try and develop a “bridge” for a php script to try and get it to work with Joomla – would it be some kind of php script itself that I would simply insert somewhere?

instantinlaw Friend

tcraw1010;21582Thanks Shannon !!!

I figured it was something like that … but the added explanation you provide makes it that much clearer.

So, if I understand correctly, a “bridge” for a third-party script (or whatnot) is some kind of additional script or component that one activates to display the function within a Joomla site – correct?

So, if I were to commission a developer to try and develop a “bridge” for a php script to try and get it to work with Joomla – would it be some kind of php script itself that I would simply insert somewhere?

Hi Tom,
    The bridge would do the inserting of the script, all you would have to do is enable it, and add a menu item, but it could become costly depending on how many functions the script has, and whether you wanted some modules to go with it.

You could always run the script in a wrapper like I did with the webring script on the second site in my signature. You might have to do some editing of the scripts output though to make it fit properly in the wrapper.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  instantinlaw 17 years, 3 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum