Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Sometimes people get the impression that anything trendy on the internet, like fancy stuff and extensions for their Joomla sites that are advertised with slogans like “Web 2.0 Inside!” are actually Web 2.0 and that this is something like a phrase meaning “Trendy Web”. Surely trendy is good but not really what the essence of Web 2.0 means.

Mostly it is in the reality about USER GENERATED CONTENT, giving people a base to continue. You as the operator of the site provide an area where the user continues to work on, makes the content, like in a forum or community on the internet, but also some other major things.

So that you know this term means here some links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2.0

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/news/2005/09/30/what-is-web-20.html

Much fun reading!

scotty Friend

wooohanetworks;113657Mostly it is in the reality about USER GENERATED CONTENT

Ehh no it isn’t.

You should read the (5 year old) links you posted yourself.

Web 2.0 refers to the ‘second coming’ of the internet after the ‘dot com’ collapse of the late 90’s early 00’s.

As part of this ‘second coming’ many sites used new technology and software advances to boost their end user experience. Ajax, js, advanced CSS techniques, etc.

Yes, many of these Web 2.0 sites have a lot of user interaction (Eg. Youtube). But whether they have user interaction or user generated content or not has nothing to do with if they are Web 2.0 or not.

There is no absolute definition of Web 2.0 as it is a phrase coined by an individual but I would consider any site that works well, looks well, and uses the most modern methods for functioning as being Web 2.0.

wooohanetworks Friend

ARE YOU SO BAD IN READING ENGLISH THAT YOU SIMPLY DO NOT GET IT OR WHAT? I HAVE ENOUGH OF THIS STUFF YOU REPLY TO SUCH INFOS…I RECOMMEND SCHOOL TO YOU TO LEARN WHAT I WROTE, IN THE CONTEXT AND DO NOT REPEAT WHAT I WROTE IN OTHER WORDS TELLING ME I AM WRONG!

scotty;113665Ehh no it isn’t.

You should read the (5 year old) links you posted yourself.

Web 2.0 refers to the ‘second coming’ of the internet after the ‘dot com’ collapse of the late 90’s early 00’s.

As part of this ‘second coming’ many sites used new technology and software advances to boost their end user experience. Ajax, js, advanced CSS techniques, etc.

Yes, many of these Web 2.0 sites have a lot of user interaction (Eg. Youtube). But whether they have user interaction or user generated content or not has nothing to do with if they are Web 2.0 or not.

There is no absolute definition of Web 2.0 as it is a phrase coined by an individual but I would consider any site that works well, looks well, and uses the most modern methods for functioning as being Web 2.0.

That is what the articles and also my post say, read again and do not tell me what I should! God ****!

scotty Friend

wooohanetworks;113670ARE YOU SO BAD IN READING ENGLISH THAT YOU SIMPLY DO NOT GET IT OR WHAT? I HAVE ENOUGH OF THIS STUFF YOU REPLY TO SUCH INFOS…I RECOMMEND SCHOOL TO YOU TO LEARN WHAT I WROTE, IN THE CONTEXT AND DO NOT REPEAT WHAT I WROTE IN OTHER WORDS TELLING ME I AM WRONG!

LOL!! Sorry.. what was that? Speak up! I can’t hear you!

mj1256 Friend

its a good thing you two don’t live next door to each other

Phill Moderator

I think I’ll sit back and watch this one:D

scotty Friend

😀 lol… perish the thought!

Phill Moderator

Scotty,

Where in Ireland are you from? My wife is a Wexford girl and I have to spend 12 weeks per year working in Ireland (I work for Fujitsu doing server support for gov’t contracts).

scotty Friend

I was actually down that part today in Gorey.

I’m from Swords… just north of Dublin.

Phill Moderator

I know Swords, we have a lockup there for couriors to drop things off for our engineers.

I love Ireland, shame it is so expensive since the euro came in. Dublin is an amazing city but the traffic is worse than central London and the M50 is a total disaster.

I digress, thanks for all your usefull posts on the forums.

scotty Friend

I avoid the M50 at all costs!

I live up in Drogheda now so traffic is not so bad.

…your welcome.

shertmann Friend

well really the web 2.0 is a concept that a lot of people still do not understand.

it is not only about a trendy web is about a lot of things.
    community, interaction, the complete web experience, the web services.

is good to analyze the most known web 2.0 in order to learn what factors are important and what makes them really to be 2.0

some say joomla is web 2.0 some others say it is not, what do you people think about it and what are the reasons for that?

newone Friend

Web 2.0 means nothing, and nothing is a whole lot of conversation these days.

Everything old is now new with fancy uber phrases.

It makes people sound hip when they are totally confused, but nobody wants to admit that!

scotty Friend

newone;115012Web 2.0 means nothing, Everything old is now new with fancy uber phrases.

I wouldn’t say it means nothing but I would say it usually used incorrectly.

Is Joomla Web 2.0? Hmmm from an Admin/Publishers point of view I would say yes but from a visitors point of view I would say no. But with the right extensions and methods it could be Web 2.0 from the visitors point of view also.

newone Friend

<em>@scotty 115022 wrote:</em><blockquote>I wouldn’t say it means nothing but I would say it usually used incorrectly. </blockquote>

If a term is commonly used and becomes part of our vocabulary, we can safely conclude that the user’s knowledge of that term comes from a certain level of awareness. Correct? Unless the user does not fully understand the term, he or she will always apply it incorrectly.

This idea is similar to the many tutorials I have seen on Joomla. Even though all the creators mean well, their lack of understanding of users, their own methodology, and assumptions of common understanding of the technical as well as the workflow leads credence to this.

<em>@scotty 115022 wrote:</em><blockquote>Is Joomla Web 2.0? Hmmm from an Admin/Publishers point of view I would say yes but from a visitors point of view I would say no. But with the right extensions and methods it could be Web 2.0 from the visitors point of view also.</blockquote>

How can something be web 2.0 on the backend and not on the frontend? Or better yet, how can a system be 2.0 for few selective users, but not for the majority without tinkering and hacks?

If the parameter for 2.0 is already there for publishers and admins as you suggest, then the system should be sufficient to replicate 2.0 for general users. If not, there is something inherently flawed with the system and its design.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  newone 15 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum