Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I did a clean install of the Ja-rasite template.

If I want to create a module, I can’t find the following module positions in the drop down menu:

• ja-tabs
    • ja-cs
    • content-mass
    • footnav

If I do a full install, including example data, i do not have this problem.
    But I do not want the example data…

I know I can add the positions myself in the template details xml file, but i want to know why the positions are not shown in the drop down menu after installing the template…

regards,
    olifier

Phill Moderator

Just type them in the dropdown box. The dropdown only starts populated with the default Joomla names so if you add new positions they will not appear. I often add new positions with custom names and have to type them in. Once added they will be there forever more.

olifier Friend

thanks phill.

If I type a new position and save the module, the new position will appear in the drop down box.

But, If i delete that module with the new position, the name disappears in the drop down box as well…

So – in my case – it’s not …

I do not understand why this is not working for me…

Phill Moderator

May be something to do with the latest release of Joomla or maybe something on your setup, they stay for me. At least it is working and you can add the new module positions so it is not something to worry about. Maybe create dummy unpublished modules in those positions just to keep them in the dropdown. This is not a template problem but to do with the way Joomla works.

Good luck with your site. Please show it off when it is complete.

Phill Moderator

Actually, I was wrong slightly. You can add the extra module position names by editing your templateDetails.xml file. Where it says <position>hornav</position> etc just create extra lines with your required positions and they will then appear in your dropdown forever more.

I should have investigated properly but as typing them in work it has never really been an issue for me. Once they are in they are there, unless you remove all modules with that position then you just have to type it in again. I’ve never thought (until now) that I could add them to the details.

olifier Friend

Thanks, that’s exactly the way I already did 🙂

alicebb Friend

Thanks a lot for the answer. This is not something that we have ever encountered before as we must either have only used standard Joomla module positions or used a Quickstart installation as the basis for a web site.

Why aren’t the details of the module positions in the templateDetails.xml file? Is this a bug? Why are we expected to know the names of all the module positions & add them? or am I missing something?

Phill Moderator

People make mistakes. I am sure those will be added.

As templates get ever more complex mistakes will creep in but I can assure you that the JA team work very hard to iron these out as they crop up.

As these templates are becoming ever more complicated most users rely on the quickstart installs to the module positions will already have been input. They are also in the guides for the templates. As such, it is not that often that this complaint has cropped up.

alicebb Friend

So from what you are saying the module positions should be listed in the templateDetails.xml file & we aren’t expected to add the details ourselves.

My comments weren’t really intended as criticism but as I had never encountered this issue before I wasn’t sure whether to expect the module positions to be listed in the file or not. On reflection I suppose that they should be as an aid to self-documentation of the code.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  alicebb 14 years, 8 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum