Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi!
    I have read all documentation (I think) and searched the forum for the best way to make T3 template last after a version update of the template. I plan to add at least one module position and change Mega menu and top menu style. In the last case it looks like a good way to make a custom file for css to save the styling changes. But for the rest, adding a module position made me confused. If I add new Layout to use for the added module position, I have some files in the local folder, which seems fine. But for the rest of changes in blocks, template details and so on, how should I handle them without losing them during a template update?

One example from your documentation. If I want to change the footerhttp://www.joomlart.com/documentation/joomla-templates/ja-teline-v/how-to#footer-info but this is a Teline V core file, how do prevent it from being overwritten?

Ja Teline V don’t have any Themes, how do I add some?

Regards
    Matt

TomC Moderator

So that we can try to best assist you, please provide the url of the site you’re working on,
    as well as temporarily set “Optimize CSS” to “Off” within your Template Manager–General settings.

Also, please specify the kind of modification you want to make to your footer section.

TomC Moderator

So that we can try to best assist you, please provide the url of the site you’re working on,
    as well as temporarily set “Optimize CSS” to “Off” within your Template Manager–General settings.

Also, please specify the kind of modification you want to make to your footer section.

Saguaros Moderator

Hi Matt,

The ‘custom.css’ file will help to hold you custom css code only. For custom layouts / blocks, you can take advantage of local folder.

For example, if you want to override the ‘footer.php’ block in:

root/templates/ja_teline_v/tpls/blocks/footer.php

You can create the same folder structure in local folder:

/root/templates/ja_teline_v/local/tpls/blocks/footer.php

and customize this file. The changes here will be loaded on your site in priority and will not be affected when updating template.

Saguaros Moderator

Hi Matt,

The ‘custom.css’ file will help to hold you custom css code only. For custom layouts / blocks, you can take advantage of local folder.

For example, if you want to override the ‘footer.php’ block in:

root/templates/ja_teline_v/tpls/blocks/footer.php

You can create the same folder structure in local folder:

/root/templates/ja_teline_v/local/tpls/blocks/footer.php

and customize this file. The changes here will be loaded on your site in priority and will not be affected when updating template.

mattsh Friend

Thanks Saguaros!

But how do I handle changes in the “templateDetails.xml” if I like to add module-positions and Swedish language. Can I duplicate that file as well to the Local folder?

Regards
    Matt

Saguaros Moderator

Unfortunately, there is no way to override this XML file, you need to backup it before updating template and restore it manually.

mattsh Friend

Thanks!
    It’s fine with me, as far as I know the best way deal to with this xml-files, just do a backup like you wrote.

Regards
    Matt

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mattsh 9 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum