Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I’ve stuck with JA Halite longer than I have with any other template.

Until recently, my setup was pretty basic but since I needed to upgrade from the pre-T3 version, I figured I might as well make a few changes along the way.

It’s presentable but still a work in progress. As always, suggestions and constructive criticism are welcome.

Link: http://tonyamoore.com

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

Hi Tonya,

Great work out there. Few things i found.

1. It seems images missing from bottom modules on this page >> http://www.tonyamoore.com/listing/serialized-stories/
    2. The Read Blog in the slideshow has odd square borders, may be you can try to make them rounded.
    3. What are you using for the drop down selection? Pretty cool.

I am still checking the site, will let you know if i find something.

Rest all looks good.

Regards

Arvind

questbg Friend

Hi Tonya

Lovely site … well done!

I spent some time in there, trying to find faults, and couldn’t … so this would say to me you’ve done an extremely good job.

Two very small (personal) niggles:

I think the logo is slightly ‘over-fancy’ by having both fonts as ‘display’ faces (that’s the designer coming out in me), I would have made the ‘speculative fiction writer’ line in a plain sans-serif font and let the ‘signature’ type font above do the talking.

Secondly , why are two of the sub-menus (Contact & FAQ) in the ‘About’ menu in Caps? Didn’t seem to be any apparent reason, so made the menu a bit disjointed!

Other than my personal two little niggles it’s a beautiful site, well constructed, nice layout and easy on the eye … many congratulations.

mikodragonfly Friend

Thanks drarvindc!

I was suprised to discover that the missing images problem had cropped up after I enabled system cache. Weird – I’m guess it has something to do with sh404srf… but I just disabled it. It might have taken me a few days to realize that was occurring, so I appreciate it.

Oh yes the buttons in the slideshow. Now that I notice them, they are bugging me – so I’ll play around with those images a bit and see if I can me them more precisely rounded.

The drop down selection mod is AJ Article Listing by Absolute Joomla. I was happy to find it too, after much searching. It’s a bit sad, but it was just about as close as I could find a way for readers to easily navigate between story chapters. (It seems like Joomla is fabulous for just about everything except navigating Web Fiction. Nothing more than a minor complaint though. I can’t see myself ever trying to work with another CMS .)

@ questbg – Thanks so much! I really appreciate you pointing those things out — especially from a designer’s perspective. Those words in the logo aren’t quite to my liking either. I’m still on the lookout for a font that I don’t hate. Also about the upper case in those menu items. That was an oversight–left over from before I removed some menu items, so I’m glad you pointed it out.

— Thank you both for checking out the site and for your feedback. It was helpful and is very much appreciated!

Phill Moderator

Excellent use of Halite. When this template first appeared I was not a huge fan but it has grown on me. To then see the superb use you have put it to is really impressive. It works perfectly for your site and style. Love your writing too. Keep up the great work.

TomC Moderator

NICE WORK !!

My only constructive criticism would be to increase the size of your logo/signature a bit . . . its very nice and I think it would serve the site well to have it stand out a bit more prominently.

mikodragonfly Friend

@phill : Thanks very much. I’m an amateur at best, so I’m glad it looks good. Also, thanks for checking out the Writing! 😀

@ tcraw1010 – The logo is a bone of contention for me right now too. I have yet to find a look that I’m happy with. I’ll see if making it bigger works for me. Thanks for the suggestion! 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mikodragonfly 13 years, 11 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum